OTTAWA SENATORS NOTES:
LAST GAME: Feb. 19, 7-2 win vs. St. Louis: Six Ottawa skaters registered multi-point games as the Senators skated to a 7-2 win over St. Louis at Canadian Tire Centre. Tkachuk (extending his point streak to career high seven games) and DeBrincat both provided one goal and two assists with Stützle moving into a tie for third for most career multi-point games before the age of 22 in franchise history after registering two goals and one assist. Batherson skated in his 200th career game and recorded one goal and one assist including a helper on Pinto’s opening goal of the game to push his career point total to 143 – the fourth most in club history through 200 games. Greig closed the scoring for the home side with his first career NHL goal. Parayko and Pitlick scored for the Blues. Sogaard made 30 saves to earn the win for Ottawa while Greiss turned aside 27 shots in taking the loss for St. Louis. Scratches: Gauthier, Heatherington; Injuries: Forsberg, Holden, Norris, Sanderson, Talbot; Shots: OTT – 34, STL – 32; PP: OTT – 1-4, STL – 0-6.
BROADCAST INFORMATION: This afternoon’s game against Boston will be broadcast regionally on TSN5 and RDS. On the radio, the game will be available locally via TSN 1200 (English) and 94,5 Unique-FM (French).
WHAT’S NEXT: Ottawa continues a three-game road trip at Carolina on Friday evening at 7 p.m. The contest will mark the first of three regular-season meetings and the first of two matchups at PNC Arena.
INJURY REPORT: G Forsberg, D Holden, C Norris, D Sanderson and G Talbot are on IR and will not oppose the Bruins this afternoon.
Total man-games lost: 198.
RECENT TRANSACTIONS: Recalled D Heatherington from Belleville (AHL) on Feb. 19; Acquired F Gauthier and a 2023 conditional seventh-round pick from the N.Y. Rangers in exchange for F Motte on Feb. 19.
OTTAWA vs. BOSTON – History:
2022-23 (2-0-0): Oct. 18 @ Ottawa (7-5 win), Dec. 27 @ Ottawa (3-2 SO win), Feb. 20 @ Boston, March 21 @ Boston
2021-22 (1-2-1): 11/9/21 @ Boston (3-2 loss), 2/12/22 @ Ottawa (2-0 loss), 2/19/22 @ Ottawa (3-2 OT loss), 4/14/22 @ Boston (3-2 win)
Series record: Overall: 56-79-8-8; Home: 31-36-3-5; Away: 25-43-5-3
Last Ottawa win: @ Ottawa: Dec. 27 (3-2 SO); @ Boston: 4/14/22 (3-2)
Last Boston win: @ Ottawa: 2/19/22 (3-2 OT); @ Boston: 11/9/21 (3-2)
Last OT result: 2/19/22 (3-2 OT loss) @ Ottawa
Last shootout: Dec. 27 (3-2 SO win) @ Ottawa
Most goals, game: Scored: 7, (Oct. 18, 7-5 win); Allowed: 8, (4/13/94, 8-0 loss); Both teams: 12, (Oct. 18, 7-5 win)
Last Game: Dec. 27, 3-2 SO win @ Ottawa; OTT Goals: Stützle, DeBrincat; BOS Goals: DeBrusk, Zacha; OTT Scratches: None;
OTT Injuries: Bernard-Docker, Brannstrom, Chartier, Joseph, Motte, Norris, Zub; OTT Goalie: Talbot; BOS Goalie: Swayman; OTT PP: 1-2; BOS PP: 0-3; Shots: 33-51.
Career vs. Boston: Giroux leads all players in career games played (52), in goals (11), in assists (26), in points (37) and in penalty minutes (28) against Boston.
ROAD SCHOLARS: The Senators have a record of 11-12-2 on the road this season … Brady Tkachuk leads with 12 goals on the road this season while also ranking first with 16 assists while the Senators serve as visitors … Through 25 road games this season, Tkachuk maintains the club lead with 28 points … The Senators registered an 18-20-3 record over 41 road contests in 2021-22.
ON THE POWER PLAY: The Senators are 54 for 207 (26.1%) on the power-play in 2022-23 … Drake Batherson leads with 11 powerplay goals while Batherson, Alex DeBrincat, Tkachuk and Stützle maintain the club lead with 22 points while the team enjoys a man advantage … Ottawa has recorded multiple power-play goals 13 times in an individual contest in 2022-23 after having done so 11 times in 2021-22.
ON THE PENALTY KILL: Ottawa has overcome 162 of the 199 occasions the team has been shorthanded in 2022-23 to maintain an efficiency of 81.4% through 55 regular-season games … The team has registered five (Joseph x2, Watson x2, Motte) shorthanded markers this season after recording nine such goals in 2021-22.
BOSTON BRUINS NOTES:
- The Bruins host the Senators today in the 3rd of 4 games between these teams this season and the 1st of two games of this series at TD Garden.
- The Bruins are 42-8-5 overall this season and they are 23-2-3 on home ice … The Bruins are 24-6-3 vs Eastern Conference opponents.
- They are playing today their 8th of 16 matinees this season (local start time 4:00 pm or earlier) … They have a 5-1-1 record in afternoon games so far.
- The Bruins conclude a two-game home stand today vs the Senators … They will then face a 4-game road trip to Seattle on 2/23, Vancouver on 2/25, Edmonton on 2/27 and Calgary on 2/28.
- The Bruins have won their last three games with a 3-2/OT win in Dallas on 2/14, 5-0 win in Nashville on 2/16 and 6- 2 win vs. NY Islanders on 2/18 … They are 5-3-1 in their last 9 games and they are 15-3-1 in their last 19 contests.
- The Bruins are 4-2-0 in their last 6 home games … That followed a 22-game home unbeaten at 19-0-3 and a 14- game home win streak, the longest from the start of a season in league history and longest point streak from a season’s start in Boston annals … It was also their fourth longest home point streak overall in team history.
- They are 12-2-2 in their last 16 road games, including a 9-0-1 road point streak from 12/11-1/24.
- Boston 3/OT at Dallas 2 … Taylor Hall scored the game’s 1st goal before the Stars scored to go up 2-1 … Pavel Zacha (1-1=2 totals) evened the score and David Pastrnak (1-1=2) then scored the GWG at 3:44 of OT … Linus Ullmark took the win in goal … SOG: Bos 37, Dal 31 … PP: 0/3 … PK: 0/4
- Boston 5 at Nashville 0 … Patrice Bergeron (1-1=2 totals) and Hampus Lindholm and Nick Foligno (2A each) had multiple points, while Brad Marchand (GW), Craig Smith and Derek Forbort scored single goals … Jeremy Swayman had 28 saves for his 7th career shutout … SOG: Bos 30, Nsh 28 … PP: 1/4 … PK: 0/3
- Boston 6 vs NY Islanders 2 … The Bruins had 2G from Trent Frederic, 1-1=2 totals each from Nick Foligno and Jake DeBrusk, and 2A from Charlie McAvoy, along with goals from Pavel Zacha and Patrice Bergeron … linus Ullmak earned the win in net … SOG: Bos 27, NYI 28 … PP: 1/3 … PK: 0/2
INJURIES (Total man-games lost in 2022-23: 72)
- Tomas Nosek: Non-displaced fracture in left foot
- Vinni Lettieri: Lower body injury suffered in practice
BOSTON vs OTTAWA, LIFETIME SERIES
- The Bruins and Senators are meeting for the 152nd time in their histories with the Bruins having an 87-44-8-12 record and 479-377 scoring edge in those games.
- They are 46-21-5-4 vs. Ottawa on home ice with a 259-193 scoring advantage.
- The Bruins currently have 23 players on their roster (2 on IR) … 9 were drafted by the team, 4 were acquired in trade and 10 were signed as free agents.
- The Bruins play 16 matinees this season (local start time 4:00 pm or earlier) … They have a 5-1-1 record in afternoon games so far.
- The Bruins play 14 sets of back-to-back games this season … They are currently 6-0-2 in the 1st game of those sets and are 6-2-0 in the 2nd games so far.
- The Bruins are playing game 6 of their 10-game February schedule today (3 hm/7 rd, 4-1-0) … They will play 15 in March (9 hm/6 rd) and 7 in April (3 hm/4 rd) … They went 8-1-0 in October, 11- 2-0 in November, 9-1-4 in December and 10-3-1 in January.
Jan. 23: Marc McLaughlin recalled from Providence/AHL.
Jan. 30: Joona Koppanen and Marc McLaughlin returned to Providence/AHL.
Jan. 31: Jakub Lauko and Vinni Lettieri recalled from Providence/AHL.
Feb. 2: Jakub Lauko returned to Providence/AHL.
Feb. 9: Jakub Lauko recalled from Providence/AHL.
Feb. 17: Jakub Lauko returned to Providence/AHL.