NEXT UP IN WEEK 6 OF THE MTN WEST
Saturday, October 9 TV/Digital Time
Boise State at #10/10 BYU ABC 1:30 p.m. MT
San José State at Colorado State* FS1 1:30 p.m. MT
Wyoming at Air Force* CBS Sports Network 5 p.m. MT
New Mexico at RV/25 San Diego State* FS1 6 p.m. PT
New Mexico State at Nevada CBS Sports Network 7:30 p.m. PT
*Mountain West game
AROUND THE MOUNTAIN WEST
• San Diego State (4-0) is ranked No. 25 in the Associated Press Top 25, the Aztecs’ first national ranking since the 2019 season. This is the sixth-consecutive year at least two Mountain West programs have been nationally ranked.
• San Diego State has opened the 2021 season with a 4-0 record, which includes a pair of victories over autonomous-5 opponents (Arizona and Utah). The Aztecs are the only non-autonomous-5 team with multiples wins over autonomous-5 opponents this season.
• In 2021, the Mountain West has five victories over autonomous-5 opponents, the most of any non-autonomous-5 conference. Including all 10 FBS conferences, the MW is tied for the third-most A5 victories with the ACC, and trails only the Big Ten and SEC.
• The league has a .500 record against opponents from the Pac-12 in 2021.
• In nonconference play, the Mountain West has compiled a 26-18 (.591) record, the fifth-best win percentage nationally and best among the non-autonomous-5 conferences.
• Wyoming is off to a 4-0 start for the first time since 1996 (9-0). The Cowboys and San Diego State are two of 17 undefeated teams nationally.
• San José State is riding a nine-game win streak in Mountain West play, which is tied for the third-longest active league win streak nationally. In 2020, the Spartans were 7-0 in MW play, and they haven’t lost a league contest Nov. 23, 2019.
• Air Force is 4-1 for the first time since 2016 and has the nation’s top rushing attack, averaging 367.4 yards per game.
• Fresno State RB Ronnie Rivers is the nation’s active FBS leader with 48 career touchdowns, setting the program career record on Saturday, Aug. 28. Rivers is four touchdowns shy of tying for fifth-most in Mountain West history, a spot currently held by San Diego State’s Rashaad Penny (2014-17).
• Dating back to the 2019 season, the Mountain West has won 16 games against autonomous-5 opponents, including 14 against the Pac-12.
• In the past 17 years, the Mountain West has been the top nonautonomous 5 conference nine times and second five times.
• The Mountain West has been nationally-ranked in 21 of the last 28 College Football Playoff Rankings.
• The Mountain West produced the first non-automatic-qualifying FBS team into a BCS bowl game (Utah – 2005 Fiesta Bowl) and into the College Football Playoff (Boise State – 2014 Fiesta Bowl).