TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS NOTES:
Score: Toronto 5 at Seattle 1
Date: Sunday, February 26, 2023
TOR Goals: Giordano, Tavares, Liljegren, Matthews (2x)
SEA Goals: Dunn
TOR Goaltender: Samsonov, 26/27, .963 SV%
SEA Goaltender: Grubauer, 17/21, .810 SV% – Jones, 11/12, .917 SV%
TOR Power Play: 0-for-1
TOR Penalty Kill: 2-for-2
- Mark Giordano scored his fourth goal of the season at 4:58 of the first period. Giordano has recorded a point in back-to-back games (1G, 1A). Giordano registered two blocks in Sunday’s win posting the 2,046th block of his NHL career, surpassing Kris Russell (2,044) for first place on the NHL’s all-time blocked shots list.
- Timothy Liljegren scored for the Maple Leafs at 12:51 of the first period and registered the primary assist on Giordano’s goal. Liljegren scored his fifth goal of the season, tying an NHL career season-high. With two points registered during Sunday’s game, Liljegren tied a single-game NHL career-high which he has marked on five occasions during his NHL career. Liljegren recorded his third multi-point game of the season and fifth of his NHL career.
- Auston Matthews scored twice in Toronto’s win, posting his third multi-goal game of the season and 16th multi-point game of the season.
- William Nylander posted the secondary assist on Giordano’s goal and the primary assist on John Tavares’ goal. Nylander has posted an assist in four-consecutive games (5A) and extended his current point streak to seven games where he has posted 13 points (5G, 8A). Nylander has posted a multi-point game in three-consecutive outings. Nylander registered his ninth multi-assist game of the season and 19th multi-point game of the season.
- Mitch Marner recorded two assists in Toronto’s win. Marner posted his 11th multi-assist game of the season and his 18th multi-point game of the season. Marner has posted eight assists through his last two road games which, per NHL Stats, is “the most points in Maple Leafs history through a span of two road games, eclipsing Gary Leeman (2-5—7 from Oc. 7-12, 1989).”
- Michael Bunting also posted two assists in Sunday’s game. Bunting posted his fifth multi-assist game of the season and his 11th multi-point game of the season.
- Toronto has recorded five or more goals in four of their last six games, earning a win in all four. In the 17 games this season that the Maple Leafs have recorded five or more goals, the club has posted a 16-0-1 record.
- Per NHL Stats, “The Maple Leafs improved to 37-15-8 (82 points) in 2022-23. Their 82 points are the most in franchise history through 60 games in a season – their previous best was 81 points (38-17-5), set in 2021-22.”
2022-23 Matchups vs. Edmonton: First of Two
2021-22 Record vs. Edmonton: 2-0-0
Toronto Season Record: 37-15-8
Toronto Road Record: 14-9-4
Toronto Maple Leafs: Media Notes
The Maple Leafs are scheduled to take on the Edmonton Oilers tonight in the first of two meetings between the clubs this season. Toronto has recorded at least one point through 10-consecutive games (8-0-2) against Edmonton. The club has also earned at least one point in 10- consecutive road games against the Oilers (9-0-1). Their last regulation loss when visiting Edmonton dates back to February 11, 2016 where the Oilers captured a 5-2 win. The Maple Leafs have won three-consecutive games. Toronto is skating in their second game of a five-game road trip and are playing in the first game of a back-to-back with the team taking on the Calgary Flames tomorrow at Scotiabank Saddledome Toronto has posted a 6-3-0 record in the first game of a back-to-back.
TV: Sportsnet RADIO: Sportsnet 590
Date: Thursday, March 2, 2023
Opponent: at Calgary Flames
Time: 9:00 pm ET
Broadcast Information: TSN4 (TV), TSN 1050 (Radio)
February 28, 2023 The Maple Leafs acquired defenceman Luke Schenn from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for a third round selection in the 2023 NHL Draft.
February 28, 2023 The Maple Leafs acquired a third round selection in the 2024 NHL Draft from the New York Islanders in exchange for forward Pierre Engvall.
February 28, 2023 The Maple Leafs acquired defenceman Erik Gustafsson and Boston’s first round selection in the 2023 NHL Draft from the Washington Capitals in exchange for defenceman Rasmus Sandin.
February 27, 2023 The Maple Leafs acquired defenceman Jake McCabe, forward Sam Lafferty, a conditional fifth round selection in the 2024 NHL Draft and a conditional fifth round selection in the 2025 NHL Draft from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for forwards Joey Anderson and Pavel Gogolev, a conditional first round selection in the 2025 NHL Draft (top ten protected) and a second round selection in the 2026 NHL Draft. The Blackhawks will retain 50% of McCabe’s salary as part of the transaction.
February 18, 2023 The Maple Leafs have recalled goaltender Erik Källgren from the Toronto Marlies (AHL) on an emergency basis. Forward Pontus Holmberg has been loaned to the Marlies.
February 17, 2023 The Maple Leafs acquired Ryan O’Reilly and Noel Acciari in a three-team trade with St. Louis and Minnesota. St. Louis receives Mikhail Abramov and Adam Gaudette, Toronto’s 1st round pick in ’23, Ottawa’s 3rd round pick in ’23 and Toronto’s 2nd round pick in ’24. Minnesota receives Toronto’s 4th round pick in ’25. St. Louis will retain 50% and Minnesota will retain 25% of O’Reilly’s salary as part of the trade. Toronto also received Josh Pillar from the Minnesota Wild as part of the transaction.
Carl Dahlström Shoulder (LTIR)
Victor Mete Lower Body (LTIR)
Matt Murray Ankle (LTIR)
Jake Muzzin Neck (LTIR)
Nick Robertson Shoulder (LTIR)
ALL-TIME VS. EDMONTON OILERS:
First Matchup between Clubs: November 11, 1979 (Toronto 6 at Edmonton 3)
All-Time Record: 60-44-8-3 (115 Games)
All-Time Record at Home: 32-19-2-1 (54 Games)
All-Time Record on the Road: 28-25-6-2 (61 Games)
Last Road Win vs. Opponent: December 14, 2021 (Toronto 5 at Edmonton 1)
ACTIVE LEADERS VS. EDMONTON OILERS:
Games Played: Mark Giordano (69), TJ Brodie (50), Ryan O’Reilly (43)
Goals: Ryan O’Reilly (13), Auston Matthews (10), John Tavares (10)
Assists: Mark Giordano (28), John Tavares (19), TJ Brodie (19)
Points: Mark Giordano (37), Ryan O’Reilly (31), John Tavares (29)
Penalty Minutes: Mark Giordano (75), Luke Schenn (23), Jake McCabe (12)
Points % GF/Game GA/Game PP% PK% SF/G SA/G FO%
Toronto .683 3.45 2.62 25.3 81.5 32.2 28.9 53.2
Edmonton .590 3.80 3.28 31.9 75.6 33.5 31.6 50.4
THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN 2022-23
Power Play: 25.3%
Power Play Goal Leader: 11 – Tavares
Power Play Point Leader: 28 – Marner (6G, 22A)
2021-22 Power Play: 63/231 (27.3%)
ON THE PK IN 2022-23
Penalty Kill: 81.5%
Shorthanded Goal Leader: 2 – Marner
Shorthanded Point Leader: 3 – Järnkrok (1G, 2A), Marner (2G, 1A)
2021-22 Penalty Kill: 192/234 (82.1%)
Wednesday games 9th of 11 (8 home, 3 road)
Back-to-Backs played 9 of 14
Record in first game of back-to-back 6-3-0
Record in second game of back-to-back 5-3-1
March games 1st of 14 (5 home, 9 road)
EDMONTON OILERS NOTES:
EDMONTON OILERS VS. TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
6:00 p.m. MT at Rogers Place
BROADCAST INFO: 630 CHED Radio, Sportsnet
32-21-8 – 72 PTS RECORD 37-15-8 – 82 PTS
Div. – 3rd Conference – 6th RANK Div. – 2nd Conference – 4th
1st –31.9% (67/210) POWER PLAY 4th – 25.3% (46/182) 24th – 75.6% (164/217) PENALTY KILL 10th – 81.5 (145/178)
ALL-TIME RECORDS vs. TORONTO GP RECORD HOME (61) AWAY (54) GF GA
OILERS ALL-TIME vs. TORONTO 115 47-55-8-5 27-26-6-2 20-29-2-3 418 418
OILERS vs. TORONTO – 2022-23 0 0-0-0 0-0-0 0-0-0 0 0
Wednesday’s game will mark Edmonton’s first of two games against the Leafs this season and the lone game in Edmonton. These teams will face each other again on March 11th in Toronto.
The last time these teams met was on January 5, 2022 in Toronto, with the Maple Leafs winning 4-2.
Connor McDavid leads the team with 25 career points against the Leafs and Cody Ceci has played a team leading 25 games against Toronto.
The Oilers are 11-4-5 in their last 20 games, outscoring opponents 88-67 while earning at least a point in 16 of the 20 games.
GOALS BY PERIOD
The Oilers rank 1st in the NHL in goals for in the second period with 94.
They also rank tied for tied for 5th in the league in third period goals with 74.
LAST 10 GAMES vs. TORONTO
GF: 19 GA: 39
2021-22 1/5/22 @ TOR 4-2 L
2021-22 12/14/21 @ EDM 5-1 L
2020-21 3/29/21 @ TOR 3-2 W (OT)
2020-21 3/29/21 @ TOR 4-3 L (OT)
2020-21 3/3/21 @ EDM 6-1 L
2020-21 3/1/21 @ EDM 3-0 L
2020-21 2/27/21 @ EDM 4-0 L
2020-21 1/30/21 @ EDM 4-3 W
2020-21 1/28/21 @ EDM 4-3 L
2020-21 1/22/21 @ TOR 4-2 L
OILERS LEADERS vs. TORONTO
Games: Ceci (25)
Goals: Kane (11)
Assists: McDavid (17)
Points: McDavid (25)
Penalty minutes: Kane (30)
Feb. 18 F Devin Shore recalled from Bakersfield
Feb. 21 D Vincent Desharnais recalled from Bakersfield
Feb. 27 F Devin Shore loaned to Bakersfield
Feb. 28 F Devin Shore recalled from Bakersfield
F Jesse Puljujarvi was traded to Carolina
D Mattias Ekholm was acquired from Nashville, in exchange for Tyson Barrie
OILERS IN MARCH
Overall – 582 GP, 283-220-39-40 – 645 PTS
2022-23 – 0 GP, 0-0-0 – 0 PTS
2021-22 – 15 GP, 9-4-2 – 18 PTS