NEW YORK RANGERS NOTES:
New York Rangers 5, Los Angeles Kings 2 – February 26, 2023 – Madison Square Garden
NYR Goals: A. Lafreniere (11), V. Trocheck (18, 19), A. Panarin (19), M. Zibanejad (31)
LAK Goals: V. Arvidsson (18), M. Roy (9)
NYR Goalie: I. Shesterkin (W – 26/28)
LAK Goalie: J. Quick (L – 4/7), P. Copley (ND – 12/14)
NYR Shots: 21
LAK Shots: 28
NYR PP: 1/4
NYR PK: 3/4
RECAP/NOTES: Despite playing with only four defensemen for the majority of the game, the Rangers got back to their winning ways with a 5-2 victory over the Kings on Sunday night at MSG. New York built a 3-0 lead and then added two goals in the third to cap off the night. In the win, Vincent Trocheck scored two goals and added an assist for his second three-point game of the season (Oct. 29 at DAL). Ben Harpur (28:04) and Niko Mikkola (25:34) tallied career-highs in ice time.
- The New York Rangers visit the Philadelphia Flyers for the first game of a back-to-back, at Wells Fargo Center on Wednesday night (7:30 PM ET – TV: MSG 2, TNT – Radio: ESPN 1050 AM). In the first half of back-to-backs this season, the Blueshirts are 6-3-2.
- On Tuesday, the Rangers made a blockbuster acquisition in bringing in three-time Stanley Cup champion Patrick Kane.
- The Blueshirts have earned a point in 11 of their last 14 games (9-3-2) and 29 of their last 37 contests (24-8-5).
- On the road, New York has points in 10 of their last 12 contests (6-2-4) and will play five of its next six games away from MSG.
- Tonight begins a 16-game month of March (7 at home, 9 on road). Last season, the Rangers closed out March with a 11- 4-0 record, setting a franchise high for the most wins in the month of March. Only eight times in team history have the Rangers won 11 or more games in a single month than they did last March (Mar. 2022 – 11, Feb. 2020 – 11, Nov. 1993 – 11, Jan. 1973 – 11, Oct. 1990 – 11, Dec. 1996, 1995, 1970 – 11).
- The Rangers finished the month of February with a 7-3-1 record. In the month, Mika Zibanejad’s nine goals were tied for the second most in the NHL and his 15 points were tied for fifth. Artemi Panarin’s 17 points were tied for the third most in the league last month and his 10 assists were tied for the fifth most.
- New York has earned a point in seven-straight games against the Flyers (6-0-1) and 10 of its last 12 games against them (8-2-2).
- With the most recent outing coming on Sunday, the Rangers have scored five or more goals 18 times this season, tied for the fourth most in the NHL. The Rangers have scored five or more goals in five of their last 11 contests.
- The Rangers defensemen group has collected 144 points, tied for the fourth most in the NHL and 115 assists, the fourth most in the NHL.
- New York’s 77 third period goals are the fourth most in the league and plus-22 third period goal differential ranks third in the NHL.
- The Blueshirts’ 16 comeback wins and seven third-period comeback wins are tied for the fifth most in the NHL.
- When scoring first this year, the Blueshirts are 23-4-4 and 18-2-3 when leading after the second period.
UPCOMING GAMES (ALL TIMES ET)
DATE/TIME OPPONENT/LOCATION TV RADIO
Mar. 2/7:00 PM Ottawa/MSG MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 4/1:00 PM Boston/TD Garden ABC, ESPN Plus ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 9/7:00 PM Montreal/Bell Centre MSG Network ESPN 1050 AM
Mar. 11/5:00 PM Buffalo/KeyBank Center MSGSN ESPN 1050 AM
Mar. 12/4:00 PM Pittsburgh/PPG Paints Arena TNT ESPN 98.7 FM
DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Feb. 26 Los Angeles W, 5-2
Feb. 25 at Washington L, 6-3
Feb. 23 at Detroit L, 4-1
Feb. 20 Winnipeg L, 4-1
Feb. 18 at Calgary OTL, 3-2
INJURIES (32 MGL)
PLAYER INJURY DATES MISSED CONS. GAMES MISSED
Ryan Lindgren Upper Body Feb. 26 1
February 28 – Patrick Kane acquired from the Chicago Blackhawks.
February 28 – Austin Rueschhoff traded to the Nashville Predators in exchange for future considerations
February 28 – Braden Schneider recalled from Hartford. Ryan Carpenter re-assigned to Hartford.
February 26 – Ryan Carpenter recalled from Hartford. Braden Schneider and Jake Leschyshyn re-assigned to Hartford.
February 25 – Will Lockwood and 2026 seventh round pick acquired from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for Vitali Kravtsov.
February 19 – Tyler Motte acquired from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for Julien Gauthier and a conditional seventh-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft.
February 10 – Libor Hajek re-assigned to Hartford
February 9 – Vladimir Tarasenko and defenseman Niko Mikkola acquired from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for a conditional first-round pick in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft, a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft, Sammy Blais, and Hunter Skinner.
PHILADELPHIA FLYERS NOTES:
New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers
Wells Fargo Center
TV: TNT | Radio: 93.3 WMMR
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME (ET) BROADCAST INFO.
Sun., March 5 Detroit Red Wings Wells Fargo Center 6:00 p.m. NBCSP, 97.5 The Fanatic
Tue., March 7 Tampa Bay Lightning Amalie Arena 7:00 p.m. NBCSP+, 93.3 WMMR
Thur., March 9 Carolina Hurricanes PNC Arena 7:00 p.m. NBCSP, 97.5 The Fanatic
PLAYER INJURY DATES GAMES MISSED
Cam Atkinson IR-upper body 9/25-present 61
Sean Couturier IR-back 9/19-present 61
Ryan Ellis LTIR-groin/hip/back 10/11-present 61
Travis Konecny IR-upper body 2/21-present 3
Tanner Laczynski IR-lower body 12/7-present 35
Zack MacEwen IR-upper body-jaw 1/28-present 11
2022-23 TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 324
FLYERS VS. RANGERS: HEAD-TO-HEAD
136-130-48 ALL-TIME RECORD 141-125-48
76-61-21 HOME 73-53-30
60-69-27 ROAD 68-72-18
1-3-1 LAST 5 MEETINGS 4-0-1
3-6-1 LAST 10 MEETINGS 7-2-1
912 GOALS SCORED 926
20.7% POWER PLAY 24.0%
76.0% PENALTY KILL 79.3%
van Riemsdyk: 22 pts (14-8=22) in 51 GP
Konecny: 15 pts (5-10=15) in 27 GP
Two Players Tied with 10 pts
TEAM SCORING LEADERS Panarin: 39 pts (13-26=39) in 28 GP
Zibanejad: 32 pts (15-17=32) in 40 GP
Kreider: 23 pts (15-8=23) in 38 GP
Hart: 4-5-2, 3.18 GAA, .891 SV% in 12 GP
Sandstrom: 0-1-0, 3.03 GAA, .909 SV% in 1 GP
TEAM GOALTENDERS Halak: 12-7-3, 2.41 GAA, .915 SV%, 3 SO in 22 GP
Shesterkin: 4-3-1, 2.23 GAA, .932 SV%, 1 SO in 8 GP
2022-23 SEASON SERIES (ALL TIMES EASTERN)
November 1 Madison Square Garden NYR (1), PHI (0) OT
December 17 Wells Fargo Center NYR (6), PHI (3)
March 1 Wells Fargo Center 7 p.m
2/27 – Recalled F Elliot Desnoyers from Lehigh Valley (AHL)
2/26 – Traded F Isaac Ratcliffe to Nashville in exchange for future considerations
2/26 – Re-assigned G Samuel Ersson and F Elliot Desnoyers to Lehigh Valley (AHL)
2/25 – Placed F Travis Konecny on Injured Reserve; Recalled F Elliot Desnoyers from Lehigh Valley (AHL)
- The Flyers are 12-11-3 in their last 26 games.
- Philadelphia has allowed the opposing team to score first in 36 of its 61 games this season. Philadelphia ranks T-11th in the NHL with 11 wins when trailing first in a game. The Flyers have scored first in 14 of their last 24 games, ranking T-10th in the NHL in wins (9) when scoring first since Jan. 2.
- The Flyers tallied 40 hits Feb. 11 vs. NSH for their sixth game of 40-plus hits this season. The six games of 40-plus hits are the most in a single season since recording 13 games during the 2014-15 season.
- Philadelphia recorded a franchise-best 59 hits Nov. 12 vs. OTT. The 59 hits are tied for the ninth-most in a regular season game in NHL history.
- Philadelphia registered 30 blocked shots Monday at CGY for its fifth game of the season with 30-plus blocked shots
– the most 30-plus blocked shot games in a Flyers season since 2005-06. The Flyers tallied a season-high 32 blocked shots Oct. 27 vs. FLA.
- The Flyers lead the NHL with 1,074 blocked shots and rank third with 1,707 hits.
- Philadelphia will play nine of its 13 games in March at home, including a season-high seven-game homestand, March 14-28.
- The Flyers have played in three extra session games in the last six home contests, posting a 1-0-2 record in those games. Flyers are 1-0-3 in extra play games at home this season.
- Philadelphia is 5-6-2 in its last 13 home games and 11-15-3 in 29 home games this season.
- The Flyers have scored three-plus goals in nine of its last 16 home games. The Flyers are 10-3-2 at home this season when scoring three-plus goals.