SEATTLE KRAKEN NOTES:
Seattle 0 at NY Islanders 4
Goalie: Jones (24/28)
PP: 0/1 PK: 1/1 Shots: Seattle 32 – New York 28
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 132)
Chris Driedger (ACL; IR) – 50 games – month-to-month
Joonas Donskoi (upper body; IR) – 50 games – no timeline for return
Justin Schultz (undisclosed) – 6 games – day-to-day
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
Feb. 5, 2023: Acquired D Jaycob Megna from San Jose in exchange for a 2023 fourth-round pick of Seattle’s choosing
Friday, Feb. 10: Seattle at NY Rangers, 4 p.m. PT
Sunday, Feb. 12: Seattle at Philadelphia, 10 a.m. PT
Tuesday, Feb. 14: Seattle at Winnipeg, 5 p.m. PT
Thursday, Feb. 16: Philadelphia at Seattle, 7 p.m. PT
Saturday, Feb. 18: Detroit at Seattle, 7:30 p.m.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
• Tonight’s game against the Devils is the second of five consecutive games the Kraken will play on the road. The team’s five-game road trip ill conclude on Feb. 14 in Winnipeg.
• Tonight’s game also marks the first of a back-to-back set that will conclude tomorrow against the Rangers. It is the fifth of eight back-to-back sets the team will play this season and the third of which where both games are played on the road.
• Tonight’s matchup is the final of two games Seattle will play against the Devils this season, having previously defeated them 4-3 on Jan. 19 in Seattle. A win tonight would give the Kraken their third sweep of the season after having previously swept the Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins earlier this year.
• In three meetings with New Jersey since the start of the 2021-22 season, the Kraken have never allowed a power-play goal, going a perfect seven-for-seven on the penalty kill. The Devils are one of four teams (Columbus, Montreal, NY Islanders) that the Kraken are perfect on the penalty kill against.
• Adam Larsson was selected by New Jersey with the fourth-overall pick of the 2011 NHL Draft. He went on to play for the Devils for five seasons (2011-12 to 2015-16), totaling 69 points (nine goals, 60 assists) in 274 regular-season games and had one goal in five playoff games. Kraken assistant coach Jay Leach also played for New Jersey for parts of two seasons (2008-09 and 2010-11).
• Since the start of the New Year, the Kraken are tied for the league lead in both in wins (11) and points (23).
• With 48 games played, the Kraken have already surpassed their win (27) and point (60) totals from last season.
• Despite only playing in 49 games this season, the Kraken are the first team to have scored at least eight goals in a game four different times since the Pittsburgh Penguins also has four eight-goal games in 2011-12.
DANCING WITH THE DEVILS
• Matty Beniers (April 16, 2022), Oliver Bjorkstrand (March 19, 2016) and Cale Fleury (Nov. 16, 2019) all scored their first NHL goals against New Jersey. In addition, Fleury recorded his first NHL assist and his first point as a Kraken in the two teams’ last meeting on Jan. 19 in Seattle.
• Oliver Bjorkstrand has seven points (six goals, one assist) in his last seven games against the Devils.
• Will Borgen has recorded a point (one goal, one assist) in each of the two games he has played against New Jersey since joining the Kraken.
• Vince Dunn enters tonight’s game riding a four-game point streak against New Jersey, scoring one goal and adding three assists during that span.
• Yanni Gourde has an assist in each of the three games that Seattle has played against the Devils.
• Philipp Grubauer is undefeated in his career against New Jersey, posting a 5-0-0 record with a 0.924 save percentage, 1.97 goals-against average and one shutout against the Devils.
• Jared McCann has 12 points (four goals, eight assists) in his last 12 games played against the Devils. He had four points (one goal, three assists) in three games against New Jersey since joining the Kraken.
• The Kraken have posted an 16-6-2 record while playing on the road this season. The team’s 16 road wins have already surpassed their total from last season (11) despite only playing in 24 road games so far this year.
• Entering play Wednesday, the Kraken ranked in the top five in the NHL this season in road wins (16, tied fourth), points (34, tied fifth), regulation wins (15, tied third) and points percentage (.708, fifth). Seattle is one of only five teams this season to have a points percentage of .700 or better on the road this year.
• The team’s 99 goals and 4.13 goals-per-game-played on the road both led the NHL entering play Wednesday. The Kraken are the only team to be averaging more than four goals per game on the road this season.
• The Kraken have scored at least five goals in 13 of the 24 games they have played on the road this season.
• Matty Beniers is the Kraken’s leading scorer when playing on the road this season, totaling 25 points (13 goals, 12 assists) in 24 games played. He has 12 points (six goals, six assists) in his last 10 road games. Beniers’ 13 goals, 12 assists (tied), 25 points and 1.04 points per game on the road this year were the most among rookies entering play Wednesday.
• Vince Dunn has totaled 11 points (four goals, seven assists) in his last eight games played on the road.
• Daniel Sprong has 10 points (seven goals, three assists) in his last 10 games played on the road.
• Andre Burakovsky has nine points (two goals, seven assists) in his last eight road games.
• Jordan Eberle has eight points (two goals, six assists) in his last eight games played on the road.
• Yanni Gourde has six points (one goal, five assists) in his last six road games.
NEW JERSEY DEVILS NOTES:
Vancouver Canucks 4 New Jersey Devils 5 (OT)
(20-26-4 -44 PTS) (33-13-4 -70 PTS)
Three Stars: 1. J. Hughes 2. O. Palat 3. J. Bratt
RD OT SO FINAL
Vancouver 1 2 1 0 – 4
DEVILS 1 3 0 1 – 5
New Jersey Devils: Media Notes
VAN: A. Kuzmenko, L. Schenn, C. Lazar, P. Di Giuseppe
NJD: J. Hughes, O. Palat, O. Palat, J. Hughes. J. Bratt (OTG/PPG)
PLAYER INJURY OUT SINCE GAMES MISSED
Jonathan Bernier – LTIR Lower-body, hip 2021-22 50
2022-23 Total Man-Games Lost to Injury/illness: 146
WHAT TO KNOW
The Devils returned from their bye week and the NHL All-Star break with a dramatic 5-4 overtime victory vs Vancouver on Monday at Prudential Center.
Jersey’s team improved to 8-3 in overtime this season, while the most overtime wins in a single season for franchise history is 9 OT wins – accomplished three times:
2008-09: 9-2, led NHL
2013-14: 9-5, ranked 2nd in NHL
2015-16: 9-2, tied for 4th in NHL
Florida earned 13 (13-2) wins in overtime last season, which is the most earned in a single season for NHL history. The Devils conclude a two-game homestand on Thursday, and then travel and experience a four-game road trip, which begins on Feb. 11, at Minnesota.
The Devils are 9-1-1 in their last 11 games played dating to Jan. 7, vs NY Rangers. The team’s .864 points% ranks first in the NHL since that tie, while Carolina ranks second for this matter (.833).
The Devils finished the month of January with a 9-2-2 record and their .769 points% for the month ranked first in the NHL, while Seattle’s 7.67 points% ranked second in the league.
The team’s 33 wins after 50 games played from the start of a season are the second most in franchise history:
34 wins: 2009-10
33 wins: 2022-23
32 wins: 2008-09
31 wins: 2002-03
31 wins: 1999-00
31 wins: 1997-98
The Devils are 16-3-2 vs the Western Conference this season. The most wins earned in a single season vs the West for franchise history is 18, which was earned in 2000-01. The second most wins earned for this matter was 16, twice, logged in 1996-97 and 2015-16. The team also earned 14 wins vs the West in 2017-18.
The Devils improved to 12-0-1 vs the Pacific Division this season. Other Eastern Conference teams that won 12-or-more games in a single season vs the Pacific Division:
13 wins, Carolina: 2021-22
12 wins, Tampa: 2021-22
12 wins, Toronto: 2018-19
12 wins, Boston, 2018-19
Carolina’s 13 wins marked the most wins earned vs the Pacific Division by an Eastern Conference squad.
The Devils are 26-4-4 when Nico Hischier recorded a point in a game this season and 18-6-2 when Jack Hughes scored a goal in a game for 2022-23.
The Devils are 19-7-1 when scoring first in a game this season and 14-6-3 when trailing first in a contest. Boston and the Devils are tied for first when trailing first in a game this season (14-7-2).
The Devils are 22-0-1 when leading after the second period this season, which ranks (tied) for the third most in the NHL. Boston’s 27-0-2 record ranks first in the NHL for this matter.
The Devils are 11-2-2 when outshot by an opponent this season and 21-11-2 when outshooting teams. The Devils are 1-0-0 when shots are even vs an opponent for 2022-23.
Jersey’s team is 30-5-4 when scoring three-or-more goals in a game this season.
The Devils have allowed 1, or fewer, goals against 11 times this season in a game. Jersey’s team allowed one, or fewer goals against, in a game just eight times all of last season.
2022-23 TEAM STATS
RECORD ON DAYS OF THE WEEK
The Devils record on Thursday in 2022-23…4-3-2…at home: 1-1-1…road: 3-2-1
Record in night games in 2022-23…27-13-3…home: 10-10-1…road: 17-3-2
Record in day games in 2022-23…6-0-1…home: 4-0-1…road: 2-0-0
2022-23 Alternate jersey record…4-2-1
RECORD WHEN SCORING FIRST
Scoring first…19-7-1…Trailing first…14-6-3
First game: 3-3-1 | home: 0-1-0 | road: 3-2-1
Second game: 5-2-0 | home: 1-2-0 | road: 4-0-0
The Devils and Seattle conclude their 2022-23 regular-season series (0-0-1), after Jersey’s team fell to the Kraken on Jan. 19, in a 4-3
overtime loss at Seattle. The Kraken visit the Garden State for the second time in franchise history. New Jersey defeated the Kraken 4-2 on Oct. 19, 2021, at the Rock and in the two teams’ first-ever meeting last season. Jersey’s team was 1-0-1 vs Seattle last season.
ALL-TIME vs SEATTLE
DID YOU KNOW…
The most goals in franchise history earned in a single game vs Seattle was 4 on Oct. 19, 2021, at the Rock in a 4-2 win.
The most goals that the Devils allowed in a single game vs Seattle is 4, twice, last: 4-3 overtime loss on Jan. 19, at Seattle.
The most shots that Jersey earned in a single game vs the Kraken was 33, which was logged on Oct. 19, 2021.
The most shots that the Devils allowed in a single game vs the Kraken was 40, which was logged on Jan. 19, at Seattle.
The Devils, nor Kraken, have logged a shutout against each other.
UPCOMING SCHEDULE .
Thu. Feb 9, vs SEA, 7:00 P.M. E.T.
Sat. Feb 11, at MIN, 8:00 P.M. E.T.
Tue. Feb. 14, at CBJ, 7:00 P.M. E.T.
Thu. Feb. 16, at STL, 8:00 P.M. E.T.
Sat. Feb. 18, at PIT, 5:30 P.M. E.T.
The Devils and Kraken never executed a trade.