NEW YORK RANGERS NOTES:
New York Rangers 2, Buffalo Sabres 1 – OVERTIME – March 11, 2023 – KeyBank Center
NYR Goals: P. Kane (18), A. Panarin (20)
BUF Goals: J. Skinner (29)
NYR Goalie: I. Shesterkin (W – 32/33)
BUF Goalie: U-P Luukkonen (OTL – 24/26)
NYR Shots: 26
BUF Shots: 33
NYR PP: 1/3
NYR PK: 2/2
RECAP/NOTES: The Rangers won their second-straight game after regulation when Artemi Panarin scored his ninth career overtime goal, in Buffalo on Saturday night. Patrick Kane, playing in his hometown, tied the game in the second period with his second goal with New York.
- The New York Rangers complete their three-game road trip when they head to Pittsburgh to face the Penguins for the first of three meetings in the next week (4:00 PM ET – TV: TNT – Radio: ESPN 98.7 FM). New York has won three of its last four contests against the Penguins.
- On the road, New York has points in 13 of their last 16 contests (9-3-4). The Rangers’ .682 points percentage on the road ranks tied for fifth in the NHL and their 45 road points are tied for the fourth most in the league.
- Since December 5, New York is 26-9-4 for 56 points. In the NHL in that span, the Rangers rank third in wins, points, and third in points percentage (.718).
- The Blueshirts’ 19 comeback wins are tied for the third most in the NHL and their eight third-period comeback wins are tied for the fourth most in the NH. Their eight third-period comeback wins are tied for the second most in franchise history (11 – 2010-11).
- When scoring first this year, the Blueshirts are 24-5-4 and 18-3-3 when leading after the second period. When tied after two periods, the Rangers have 13 wins, the most in the NHL.
- New York’s 79 third period goals are tied for the sixth most in the NHL. Mika Zibanejad leads all Rangers with 14 third period goals.
- The Rangers defensemen group has collected 156 points, the fifth most in the NHL.
- New York has seen 19 games go past regulation this season, tied for the most in the NHL.
UPCOMING GAMES (ALL TIMES ET)
DATE/TIME OPPONENT/LOCATION TV RADIO
Mar. 14/7:00 PM Washington/Madison Square Garden ESPN ESPN 1050 AM
Mar. 16/7:00 PM Pittsburgh/Madison Square Garden MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 18/8:00 PM Pittsburgh/Madison Square Garden ABC, ESPN Plus ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 19/7:00 PM Nashville/Madison Square Garden MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 21/7:00 PM Carolina/Madison Square Garden MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
LAST FIVE GAMES
DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Mar. 11 at Buffalo OTW, 2-1
Mar. 9 at Montreal SOW, 4-3
Mar. 4 at Boston L, 4-2
Mar. 2 Ottawa L, 5-3
Mar. 1 at Philadelphia OTW, 3-2
MAN GAMES LOST – 39
PLAYER INJURY/REASON DATES MISSED CONS. GAMES MISSED
Ryan Lindgren Upper Body Feb. 26-Mar. 11 6
March 7 – Jonny Brodzinski recalled from Hartford.
March 3 – Acquired Anton Blidh from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for forward Gustav Rydahl and acquired Wyatt Kalynuk from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for future considerations.
ALL-TIME RECORD 135-119-23-16 (309 PTS)
NYR HOME 76-55-9-8 (169 PTS)
NYR AWAY 59-64-14-8 (140 PTS)
LAST FIVE MEETINGS 3-2-0
LEADING SCORER(S) – CURRENT RANGERS IN CAREER G: Panarin (13) – A: Kane (19) – Pts: Panarin (30)
LEADING SCORER(S) – ALL-TIME IN GAMES W/NYR G: Ratelle (23) – A: Leetch (70) – Pts: Leetch (89)
2022-23 SEASON SERIES
December 20 at Pittsburgh L, 3-2
March 12 at Pittsburgh 4:00 PM ET
March 16 at MSG 7:00 PM ET
March 18 at MSG 8:00 PM ET
- The Rangers have scored a power play goal in three-straight contests (4G), six of their last seven games (7G) and eight of their last 11 contests (10G).
- New York’s 25.3 power play percentage on the road ranks third in the league and their 24 road power play goals are tied for the fourth most.
- On the penalty kill, the Rangers’ 82.4 road percentage ranks seventh in the league.
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS NOTES:
LAST 2 GAMES
Mar. 11: Pittsburgh 5, Philadelphia 1 – PPG Paints Arena
PIT Goals: Rakell, Crosby (PP), Zucker, Guentzel (EN), Granlund
Multiple Points: Guentzel (1G-1A), Granlund (1G-1A), Pettersson
Goalie: DeSmith (30 saves, 31 shots)
Key Stats: Mikael Granlund notched his first two points with Pittsburgh (1G-1A) as Pittsburgh took home the win.
Mar. 9: NY Islanders 4, Pittsburgh 3 (OT) – PPG Paints Arena
PIT Goals: Guentzel, Archibald, Zucker
Multiple Points: Petry (2A)
Goalie: Jarry (24 saves, 28 shots)
Key Stats: Marcus Pettersson recorded his 100th-career assist as the Penguins fell in overtime.
Position Player Status Consecutive Games Missed Total Games Missed
F Ryan Poehling Upper-Body 12 26
F Nick Bonino Kidney 1 1
2022-23 Total Regular-Season Man-Games Lost: 153
Mar. 10 F Alex Nylander recalled from WBS (AHL).
Mar. 9 F Alex Nylander re-assigned to WBS (AHL).
Mar. 7 F Alex Nylander recalled from WBS (AHL).
Mar. 4 F Drew O’Connor recalled from WBS (AHL).
Mar. 3 D Dmitry Kulikov acquired in exchange for Brock McGinn and a 2024 third-round draft pick.
Pittsburgh’s All-Time Record vs. Rangers: 135-122-36
In Pittsburgh: 71-54-20
In New York: 64-68-16
OT Record vs. Rangers: 25-11-17
Shootout Record vs. Rangers: 7-4
2022-23 Results: Pittsburgh is 1-0-0.
Penguins All-Time Point Leaders vs. RANGERS:
Mario Lemieux: 70 GP, 132 PTS (61G-71A)
Sidney Crosby 79 GP, 100 PTS (38G-62A)
Evgeni Malkin 68 GP, 68 PTS (31G-37A)
- The Penguins continue along their season-long (tied) five-game homestand as they take on the New York Rangers at PPG Paints Arena (TV: TNT; Radio: 105.9 The X).
- Pittsburgh has points in 15 of its last 20 games versus New York (12-5-3), and is 16-7-3 in its last 26 games versus the Rangers.
- Here at home, Pittsburgh has points in nine of its last 10 home games versus New York (8-1-1) dating back to Jan. 14, 2018.
- Tonight’s game concludes a four-game stretch versus divisional opponents, where they’ve gone 2-0-1 thus far.
- The Penguins are 6-1-1 over their last seven games total.