COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS NOTES:
Feb. 18, 2023 Game No. 56 (17-34-4, 38 pts.)
at Dallas Stars (30-14-12, 72 pts.), American Airlines Center Road Game No. 25 (5-17-2, 12 pts.)
The Blue Jackets Press Box website, which includes game notes, stats, releases and video/audio clips as well as the 2022-23 Media Guide can be accessed at bluejackets.com/pressbox. Follow @BlueJacketsPR on Twitter for comprehensive information and updates on the team.
THE LAST GAME: FEB. 16, 2023 – CBJ 3 vs. WPG 1
CBJ Goal Scorers: Laine (15), Johnson (12), EN – Jenner (16)
WPG Goal Scorers: Connor (25)
Goalies: CBJ – Korpisalo (37/38; 60:00); WPG – Rittich (21/23; 57:53)
CBJ PP: 1/5; PK: 6/7 | Shots: CBJ: 24 / WPG: 38
3 Stars: 1. Korpisalo, CBJ; 2. Laine, CBJ; 3. Johnson, CBJ
Noteworthy: CBJ swept season series with WPG, outscoring club 7-2… CBJ trailed 1-0 after 1st period, but scored 1 goal in the 2nd and 2 goals in the 3rd to win… CBJ scored PPG for 2nd-striaght game (2-of-8, 25.0 pct.)… Laine notched his 10th multi-point effort of the season (1-1-2), giving him points in 2-straight outings (1-2-3)… Jenner scored a goal to extend his points streak to 3-straight games (2-2-4)… Johnson scored his 3rd GWG of the season – the most by a CBJ player… Gaudreau tallied his team-leading 37th assist of the campaign, extending his points streak to 3 consecutive contests (1-2-3)… Boqvist recorded an assist for 2nd-straight game (1-2-3).
OhioHEALTH INJURY REPORT
Danforth (torn labrum); Placed on Injured Reserve (Oct. 25); 6 months (49 games)
Voracek (concussion); Placed on Injured Reserve (Nov. 4); out indefinitely (44 games)
Werenski (torn labrum); Placed on Injured Reserve (retro to Nov. 10); rest of regular season (42 games)
Bean (shoulder); Placed on IR (retro to Nov. 15); out indefinitely (40 games)
Chinakhov (ankle); Placed on IR (Dec. 20); 4 weeks (24 games)
Meyer (oblique strain); Placed on IR (Jan. 11); 6-8 weeks (15 games)
Nyquist (shoulder); Placed on IR (Jan. 28); out indefinitely (7 games)
TOTAL MAN GAMES LOST: 375
Feb. 9 Recalled Berni from Cleveland (AHL)
Feb. 1 Assigned Berni and Bjork to Cleveland (AHL)
TONIGHT’S GAME BROADCAST INFO
6:00pm ET | Bally Sports Ohio | 97.1 The Fan
AGAINST THE STARS
2022-23 Series: 0-1-0 (0-0-0 at DAL)
2021-22 Series: 1-1-0 (0-1-0 at DAL)
All-Time Series: 31-33-0-7 (14-18-0-2 at DAL)
Last 10 (Overall | Road): 4-5-1 | 5-5-0
All-Time GF/GA: 166-195
All-Time SF/SA: 1,904-2,107
All-Time PP: 41-of-237
All-Time PK: 229-of-263
THE LAST GAME VS. DAL: DEC. 19, 2022 – CBJ 1 vs. DAL 2
CBJ Goal Scorers: Johnson (7)
DAL Goal Scorers: Johnston (8), EN – Robertson (24)
Goalies: CBJ – Tarasov (32/33; 58:17); DAL – Oettinger (27/28; 60:00)
CBJ PP: 0/1; PK: 0/0 | Shots: CBJ: 28 / DAL: 34
3 Stars: 1. Oettinger, DAL; 2. Tarasov, CBJ; 3. Johnston, DAL
Noteworthy: CBJ lost their 4th-straight game… CBJ had their 4-game home points streak vs. DAL (3-0-1) snapped in the loss… DAL scored the 1st two goals, 55 seconds into the 2nd and the eventual GWG with an empty net goal with 1:07 remaining… CBJ were not whistled for a penalty for 19th time in franchise history… Johnson got CBJ on the board with 15 seconds left… Roslovic and Nyquist picked up assists on the goal… Dunne made his CBJ season debut… Gudbranson set career high in blocked shots (8) while Bjork added 6 and Berni had 5.
SEASON SERIES LEFT: Series is complete.
NOTED (Team Highlights vs. DAL)
CBJ are 17-8-2 vs. DAL since 2012-13 season… CBJ have killed off all 9 DAL power play chances over the last 7 meetings dating back to 3/13/21 and 15-of-16 chances over the past 9 dating back to 3/4/21… The home team has recorded points in 7 of the last 8 meetings (6-1-1)… Winning team has scored 4+ goals in 7 of the last 11 games of the series… 11 of past 16 overall meetings have been decided by single goal (4 after reg.)… Most goals scored at DAL: 5 – 2x (MR: 12/18/08)… Most goals allowed at DAL: 6 – 2x (MR: 12/18/08).
NOTED (Player Highlights vs. DAL)
Jenner played his 500th NHL career game on 2/2/21 vs. DAL… Laine notched his 2nd (11/8/16 vs. DAL) and 3rd (2/14/17 vs. DAL) career hat tricks… Nyquist registered 1st NHL point (assist) on 1/3/12 at DAL… Voracek notched a goal and assist in his NHL debut on 10/10/08 at DAL; played in his 100th NHL career game on 11/19/09 at DAL.
PLAYER NOTABLES vs. DAL
• Gaudreau – 10-8-18 in 22 career GP, including 4-5-9 with three multi-point efforts in 10 career road outings against the club.
• Jenner – 4-3-7 in 19 career GP, including 2-1-3 in his last three outings at American Airlines Center.
• Laine – 19-7-26 in 27 career GP, including 4-4-8 with two multi-point outings in 12 career road contests at Dallas.
• Roslovic – 2-10-12 in 19 career GP, including points in five of his last seven outings (1-6-7).
BLUE JACKETS NOTES
WEEKEND ON THE ROAD
The Blue Jackets improved to 4-4-2 in their last 10 games overall, including 2-2-1 at home since January 21 after Thursday’s 3-1 victory over the Winnipeg Jets. The club plays its 11th of 17 back-to-back sets this season with games at Dallas (Saturday) and Arizona (Sunday). It’s the second of three back-to-back sets in the month of February (Feb. 10 vs. TOR/Feb. 11 at TOR; Feb. 18 at Dal/Feb. 19 at ARI; Feb. 25 vs. EDM/Feb. 26 at MIN). Thursday’s game against the Jets kicked off a stretch of six-straight games against the Western Conference for the Blue Jackets. The stretch that runs from February 16-26, includes four consecutive contests against the Central Division.
DALLAS STARS NOTES:
LAST DALLAS STARS GAME
Feb. 17, 2023 – STARS 1 at WILD 2 (shootout)
Captain Jamie Benn (1-0—1) tallied the lone goal for the Stars in a 2-1 shootout loss to the Minnesota Wild at Xcel Energy Center on Friday. The goal, his 22nd of the season, came at the 10:24 mark of the first period with assists from forward Wyatt Johnston (0-1—1) and defenseman Miro Heiskanen (0-1—1). Jason Robertson tallied the lone goal for the Stars in the four-round shootout, while Jake Oettinger (31 saves) allowed two goals on four shootout attempts. Dallas went 0-for-4 on the power play and 1-for-2 on the penalty kill.
PP: 0-4 | PK: 1-2 | SF: 30 | SA: 32 | DAL TOI: Heiskanen (28:10 – game high) | Attendance: 19,239
Three Stars: 1. MIN – F. Gustavsson 2. MIN – M. Boldy 3. DAL – J. Oettinger
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
Date Opponent Time (CT) Location TV/Radio
Sat., Feb. 18, 2023 Columbus Blue Jackets 5 p.m. American Airlines Center BSSW/KTCK
Wed., Feb. 22, 2023 Chicago Blackhawks 8:30 p.m. American Airlines Center TNT/KTCK
Sat., Feb. 25, 2023 Vegas Golden Knights 9 p.m. T-Mobile Arena BSSW/KTCK
Mon., Feb. 27, 2023 Vancouver Canucks 7:30 p.m. American Airlines Center BSSW/KTCK
Wed., March 1, 2023 Arizona Coyotes 7:30 p.m. American Airlines Center BSSW/KTCK
Feb. 8 – Recalled forward Marián Studenič from Texas (AHL)
Feb. 9 – Loaned forward Marián Studenič to Texas (AHL)
Feb. 10 – Recalled forward Marián Studenič from Texas (AHL)
Feb. 15 – Loaned forward Marián Studenič to Texas (AHL)
Feb. 16 – Recalled forward Fredrik Karlstrom from Texas (AHL)
Man-games lost, 2022-23: 25
NAME INJURY # OF GAMES DATES
D Miro Heiskanen Upper body 3 Oct. 25-29
G Jake Oettinger Lower body 4 Nov. 1-8
F Denis Gurianov Upper body 6 Nov. 11-21
F Roope Hintz Lower body 1 Nov. 19
F Roope Hintz Upper body 7 Jan. 10-21
F Joel Kiviranta Lower body 4 Feb. 8-pres.
DALLAS STARS NOTES
TONIGHT’S GAME: The Stars close out their back-to-back set tonight against the Columbus Blue Jackets at American Airlines Center. (5 p.m. CT, TV: Bally Sports Southwest, Radio: The Ticket 96.7-FM/1310-AM). Tonight’s matchup wraps up the two-game season series between Dallas and Columbus which opened with a 2-1 Stars victory on Dec. 19, 2022 at Nationwide Arena. Tonight’s contest opens a brief two-game homestand that concludes on Wednesday against the Chicago Blackhawks (8:30 p.m. CT).
MY SOURCES SAY THE ROADS ARE CLEAR AND STREET SIGNS POINT THE WAY
- The Stars are 1-0-0 vs. the Blue Jackets this season, winning 2-1 at Nationwide Arena on Dec. 19, 2022.
- Dallas is 40-23-8 all-time vs. Columbus, including a 20-12-2 mark at home.
- Dallas enters tonight’s game riding a four-game home winning streak (4-0-0) against Columbus.
- The Stars have also logged wins in five of the past six games (5-1-0) overall vs. the Blue Jackets.
- Forwards Jason Robertson (1-0—1) and Wyatt Johnston (1-0—1) lit the lamp in the Stars’ 2-1 win on Dec. 19, 2022, while captain Jamie Benn (0-1—1) and defenseman Ryan Suter (0-1—1) tacked on assists.
- Forward Joe Pavelski leads active Stars in goals (19) and points (19-21—40) and shares second in assists (21) in 46 career games against Columbus. Pavelski also paces the club in power-play goals (6) and shots on goal (131) against the Jackets.
- Benn ranks second in goals (10), shares second in assists (21) and ranks third overall in points (10-21—31) in 38 games vs. Columbus.
- Forward Tyler Seguin enters tonight’s game with nine goals and 13 points (9-4—13) in 19 career games against the Blue Jackets.
- Forward Denis Gurianov has eight points (5-3—8) in 11 career games vs. Columbus.
- Robertson’s tally in the series opener gave him four goals and seven points (4-3—7) in nine career games vs. the Blue Jackets.
- Forward Roope Hintz has seven points (2-5—7) in 10 career games against Columbus.
- Defenseman Ryan Suter leads active Stars in assists (33) and ranks second in points (2-33—35) in a team-high 62 career games vs. Columbus.
- Goaltender Jake Oettinger is 7-0-1 with a 1.59 goals-against average, .933 save percentage and one shutout in eight career appearances against the Blue Jackets. His lone shutout vs. Columbus was a 21-save performance in Dallas’ 5-0 victory on March 6, 2021.
- Netminder Scott Wedgewood is 1-0-2 with a 2.53 GAA and .920 SV% in three career appearances against the Blue Jackets.
2022-23 REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE
Dec. 19, 2022 at Columbus – W, 2-1
Feb. 18 vs. Columbus