NEW YORK METS NOTES:
METSCELLANEOUS: The Mets enjoyed a day off on Monday… On Sunday, the team fell to the Rockies, 13-6, at Citi Field…New York is 3-7 in its last 10 games and has lost four of their last five games…Today, the Mets hit the road for a seven-game road trip to Cincinnati (three games) and Washington D.C. (four games).
ROSTER MOVES: RHP Max Scherzer has been scratched from tonight’s game due to neck spasms…LHP David Peterson has been recalled from Triple-A Syracuse and will start tonight’s game…RHP Jimmy Yacabonis has been placed on the 15- Day IL, retroactive to May 8, with a left quad strain…New York signed catcher Gary Sánchez to a minor league contract… Sánchez will report to Triple-A Syracuse.
ON THE ROAD AGAIN: New York will play their 21st road game today, tied for the third-most in the majors…New York is 10-10 on the road this season…They are 3-2-1 in road series in 2023.
TRUE AMERICAN: The Mets play the Reds for the first time in 2023…Last season, the Mets took five out of six games with the club, outscoring them 36-13 in the process…The Mets are set to play at Great American Ball Park for the first time this year… New York went 2-1 at the ballpark in 2023…Luis Guillorme is 6-14 lifetime with two runs, a double, a home run, three RBI and two walks in four games at the yard…Mark Canha hit .375 (3-8) with two runs, a double, and a walk in three contests last year…Francisco Lindor has hit .316 (24-76) with 16 runs, three doubles, six home runs, 10 RBI and seven walks in 17 contests in Cincy…Pete Alonso has played nine games at the ballpark and hit .300 (12-40 ) with six runs, three doubles, three home runs, six RBI and four walks.
HIGH FIVE: Pete Alonso has 11 home runs and 29 RBI this year…He is one of only five MLB players this season with at least 10 homers and 25 RBI , joining Rafael Devers (11 HR/34 RBI), Max Muncy (12 HR/29 RBI), Matt Olson (10 HR/27 RBI) and Brent Rooker (10 HR/26 RBI)…Courtesy of Sportradar.
INVADER NIM: Brandon Nimmo has safely reached base in five straight games, going 6-18 with three runs, two doubles, a home urn, one RBI, two walks with a 1.040 OPS in that span… Over the last 22 games, Nimmo is batting .337 (30-89) with 14 runs, six doubles, one triple, three home runs, nine RBI, seven walks with a .922 OPS…He ranks 10th in the majors and fifth in the NL with a 1.7 fWAR.
ON THE MEND: Carlos Carrasco is set to make a rehab start with the Binghamton Rumble Ponies tonight against the Hartford Yard Goats at Mirabito Stadium at 6:05 PM… Carrasco is on the 15-Day IL with right elbow inflammation.
ATTABOY ÁLVAREZ: Over the last 13 games, Francisco Álvarez is hitting .286 (10-35) with five runs, two doubles, one home run, three RBI, three walks with a .342 OBP and a .429 SLG.
DOCTOR ROBERT-SON: David Robertson has appeared in 13 games and has allowed one run in 14.1 innings of work, good for a 0.63 ERA…He has allowed eight hits, five walks while striking out 18 in that span…He is holding left-handed hitters to a .154 (4-265) batting average this season…He has converted all seven save opportunities he’s had this season…Overall, he has recorded 164 saves in his career…That is the seventh-most among active players.
GUESS WHO’S BACH?: Over his last 18 games, Daniel Vogelbach is 14-45 (.311) with four runs, three doubles, two home runs, 10 RBI, seven walks with a .404 OBP and a .511 SLG…He has posted a .398 OBP in 28 games this season, which is second on the team.
AND THEY’RE OFF: The Mets are second in the National League with a 83.9% success rate in steals this season…The Mets are tied for fifth the NL with 26 steals this season… Starling Marte is tied for 10th in the majors and tied for sixth in the NL with nine steals…He ranks third among active players with 323 career steals…Only Elvis Andrus (340) and Billy Hamilton (326) have more.
BRETT THE MET: In 17 games this year, Brett Baty is batting .286 (16-56) with five runs, three doubles, two home runs, six RBI, five walks with a .344 OBP and a .446 SLG.
JEFF McHITS: Jeff McNeil is batting .348 (24-69) with 10 runs, two doubles, a triple, two home runs, seven RBI, six walks with a .423 OBP and a .916 OPS over his last 20 games… Overall, he is batting .289/.394/.405 in 35 games this season.
MULTIPLICITY: McNeil has recorded 10 multi-hit games this season…He has 173 multi-hit games in his career, which places him 19th on the Mets all-time list…He has 63 multi-hit games since the start of last season, which is tied for the third-most during that span behind Bo Bichette (68) and Freddie Freeman (69).
A HIT’S A HIT: The Mets have collected 39 infield hits this season, which is the fourth-most in the majors…Last year, the Mets collected 186 infield hits, the fifth-most in franchise history and the third-most in MLB in 2022.
OUCH: The Mets have been plunked 21 times this season… That is tied for the fourth-most in the majors and tied with the San Francisco Giants for the most in the National League.
TODAY’S STARTING PITCHER – DAVID PETERSON LHP #23
2023 STATS: 1-4, 7.34 E R A
PETERSON’S PITCH ARSENAL
Pitch Type Usage Rate vs. LHB vs. RHB Avg. Velocity
Four-Seam Fastball 28% 24% 29% 93.0 mph
Slider 26% 38% 20% 85.8 mph
Changeup 23% 4% 31% 85.9 mph
Sinker 18% 28% 14% 92.2 mph
Curveball 6% 7% 6% 78.8 mph
A MINUTE IN THE MINORS: Peterson’s last start came for the Syracuse Mets on May 4…Threw 5.0 innings and took the loss against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs… Allowed four runs on seven hits, walking five and striking out four.
SEEING REDS: Peterson has made one career start against the Reds, July 6, 2022…Allowed three runs over 3.2 innings on four hits, five walks and seven strikeouts in the Mets 8-3 victory.
ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Peterson has a 4.71 ERA (38 ER/72.2 IP) in his last 17 road outings since the 2022 season, including 13 starts…He is 6-11 with a 5.17 ERA (80 earned runs/139.1 innings) in his career on the road…Peterson has struck five or more batters in his last four starts on the road.
LETHAL LEFTY: Peterson has limited lefties to a .215 (26-121) average since 2022…He whiffed 32 of the 96 left-handed batters he faced last year, a 33 percent strikeout rate that ranked fourth among all left-handed pitchers to face a minimum of 90 LHB in 2022.
SLIP ‘N’ SLIDE: Peterson held batters to a .175 (24-137) average with his slider last season and 78 of his 126 strikeouts came on the pitch…His 52.0 slider-strikeout percentage was the second-highest in MLB (min. 150 PA) behind only teammate Edwin Díaz (54.7) and his 47.9 whiff percentage with the pitch was the thirdhighest in the majors behind only Díaz (54.7) and Seattle’s Andres Muñoz (50.8).
FOUR-HIT WONDER: The southpaw allowed four hits or fewer in 12 of his 19 starts and 21 of his 28 appearances overall last season…He has held the opposition to four hits or fewer in 39 of his 54 career games.
STRIKE ‘EM OUT, STRIKE ‘EM OUT: Peterson struck out at least five batters in 11 straight starts from June 20-September 9 last season, the second-longest streak by a left-handed starter last season…It was the sixth-longest streak by a Mets left-handed starter in franchise history…Peterson had 82 strikeouts across 58.2 innings during that span (13 G/11 GS) good for a 12.58 K/9 ratio.
HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL: Peterson made four appearances (three starts) during spring training…He threw 12.0 scoreless innings and allowed just one hit over those four outings…Struck out 13 and walked eight…Peterson last pitched in a minor league game on March 25…In his last Grapefruit League appearance of the spring, allowed one hit, struck out four and walked four over 4.0 scoreless frames vs. the Cardinals on March 19.
CINCINNATI REDS NOTES:
• Today the Reds placed on the 15-day injured list, retroactive to yesterday, LHP Reiver Sanmartin (left elbow stress reaction)…designated for assignment RHP Luis Cessa…recalled from Louisville RHP Kevin Herget (#57)…selected from Louisville the contract of RHP Ben Lively (#59).
• Also today, IF Matt Reynolds, who was designated for assignment Saturday \to make room on the roster for 1B/OF Wil Myers, cleared waivers And accepted an outright assignment to Louisville.
• Yesterday, the Reds claimed off waivers from the White Sox and optioned to Louisville RHP Frank German (HER-mahn)…was the Red Sox’ 2022
Minor League Pitcher of the Year…in February was traded to the White Sox for RHP Theo Denlinger…in 9 relief apps this season for Chi’s Class AAA Charlotte affiliate, German went 0-0, 7.15 (11.1ip, 19h, 9bb, 16k, 4hr).
• TJ Friedl (34g, 36h) and Jonathan India (34g, 38h) each has appeared in all 34 Reds games, and each has amassed at least 36 hits…Joey Votto (34g, 41h) was the last Reds player to produce those numbers, in 2013… Friedl and India comprise the first pair of teammates to produce at least 36 hits while appearing in each of the Reds’ first 34 games since 1995, when Reggie Sanders (34g, 41h) and Bret Boone (34g, 38h) did it.
• Is Game 1 of a 3-game series vs Steve Gelbs’ Mets and Game 4 (1-2) of a 6-game homestand that included a 2-1 series loss to the White Sox.
• Following this series the Reds hit the road for a pair of 3-game series at Mia’s loanDepot Park and at Col’s Coors Field, then return to Great American Ball Park for 7 games vs the Yankees (3g) and Cardinals (4g).
• The Mets won last season’s 6-game season series, 5-1, including their first sweep in New York since 4/25-4/27, 2016.
• Beginning 9/24/13, the Reds are 15-38 vs NYM, including a 14-game losing streak from 9/7/14 – 9/7/16 that ranks as Cin’s longest ever vs the Mets and its longest vs any team since a 16-game skid vs Ari from 5/8/01 – 8/13/03.
• Dating back to 1962, the 7-0 series win by the Mets in 2015 was the first season series sweep by either team, followed by NYM’s 6-0 series win in 2016.
MARLINS UP NEXT…
• On Fri the Reds and Marlins begin a 3-game series at loanDepot Park.
• The Reds went 15-6 vs Mia over the previous 3 seasons (6-1 in 2019, 5-2 in 2021, 4-3 in 2022) following 4 straight losing season series to the Marlins.
• Between the 2014 and 2019 winning season series, the Reds went 10-18 vs Mia (3-4, 3-4, 2-5, 2-5).
• The Reds are 16-19 at Marlins Park / loanDepot park.
…FOLLOWED BY THE ROCKIES
• Next week the Reds make their annual visit to Coors Field.
• Last season the Rockies earned the 4-2 series win, including their first series sweep of the Reds since September 2010.
• Beginning in 2002 and with a minimum of 40 games, the Reds’ .338 winning percentage at Coors Field (22-43) is tied for their second-lowest at any current road ballpark in that span (Phi’s Citizens Bank Park, 21-43, .328; LA’s Dodger Stadium, 22-43, .338).
Tonight’s Pitcher – #34 Luke Weaver, RHP
• Tonight is making his third career appearance and start vs the Mets.
• In the 4-3 loss on 4/20 at Pit, came off the 15-day injured list to make his 2023 season and Reds debuts…in the first inning allowed all 4 runs on 3 hits, including 2-out, back-to-back home runs by Connor Joe (3-run) and Jack Suwinski (solo)…in his last 5.0 innings faced only 16 batters and retired his last 10 batters…Joe’s 3-run HR snapped Weaver’s career-high 29.0-inning homerless streak (24g) dating back to his only start of 2022 (6/18/22 vs Min, Gary Sánchez).
• On 3/8, left his third spring training appearance with right forearm tightness…didn’t pitch in another “A” game for the Reds.
• On Opening Day went on the 15-day injured list with a right elbow flexor strain, snapping his 5-season streak on an active Opening Day roster (Cardinals 2018, Diamondbacks 2019-2022).
• On 4/9 and 4/14 made 2 rehabilitation apps with Louisville (0-0, 3.00, 9ip, 3h, 3er, 4bb, 9k, 1hr, 0.78whip, .107baa).
• On 1/13/23 was signed to a 1-year contract through the 2023 season.