LOS ANGELS ANGELS NOTES:
LEADING OFF: HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!…Today, the Angels play the third (1-1) of seven games on a road trip to Cleveland (1-1; May 12-14) and Baltimore (May 15-18)…Halos went 2-4 on last homestand against the Rangers (1-2) and Astros (1-2)…LAA was 4-2 on last road trip at Milwaukee (1-2) and St. Louis (3-0).
PEACOCK DAY: Today’s game will air on Peacock and has a 8:35 a.m. PT scheduled first pitch time… According to ELIAS, this is scheduled to be the Angels third game since 1997 with a first pitch before noon local time: Sept. 11, 1999 at Minnesota: 11:06 a.m. CT Sept. 28, 2013 at Texas: 11:07 a.m. CT Angels game earlier this year on Patriots’ Day (April 17 at Boston) was originally scheduled for 11:10 a.m. ET, but a rain delay pushed first pitch after noon local time.
RECENT TRANSACTIONS: Today the Angels recalled RHP Zack Weiss from Triple-A Salt Lake…In a corresponding move, RHP Ryan Tepera was designated for assignment…Yesterday, RHP César Valdez was out-righted to Triple-A Salt Lake.
VS. CLEVELAND: Today is the third (1-1) of seven matchups this season between the Angels and Guardians…Halos win Friday night snapped streak of 10 straight wins by the home team in the series…Last year, Halos won the season series 4-3, with each team sweeping their home series (Halos swept four games at Angel Stadium, April 25-28, 2022 and Guardians swept three games at Progressive Field, Sept. 12-14, 2022)…Angels lead all-time series 334-332.
NICE TO ‘C’ YOU AGAIN: In 25 career games as a hitter vs. Cleveland, Shohei Ohtani is batting .293 (27/92) with five doubles, seven home runs and 16 RBI…He recorded his first two Major League home runs against Cleveland pitching (Josh Tomlin – 4/3/2018 and Corey Kluber – 4/4/2018)…Ohtani also recorded his first career multi-HR game on Aug. 3, 2018 at Progressive Field (both off Mike Clevinger).
VICTORY AT THE HOUSE OF HORRORS: Friday night, Angels snapped 10 game losing streak at Progressive Field… The streak finishes tied for Halos longest losing streak at the ballpark (also had 10 game streak in Cleveland from Aug. 28, 2015 – July 27, 2017…LAA is seeking first series win in Cleveland since Aug 9-11, 2013…Overall, Halos have dropped 21 of last 23 games at the ballpark since the start of 2015.
LEAGUE LEADER: Shohei Ohtani, leads the Majors in opponent batting average (.143), ranks fourth in strikeouts (66) and is fifth in WHIP (0.91).
A LOOK AT THE STANDINGS: Angels enter play today in second place in the American League West standings (-3.5 games behind Texas; matches largest deficit of season).
PLAY FROM AHEAD: Halos have held leads in 34 of 40 games played this year.
GOING DEEP: Angels have hit 53 home runs this season, which are third-most in the A.L, behind the Rays (80) and Yankees (57).
SINGLE HANDED: Gio Urshela has hit 35 singles this year plus four extra-base hits (three doubles & one home run)…Urshela ranks second, behind Toronto’s Bo Bichette (37), for the American League lead in singles.
ESTÉVEZ ENDING: This season, Carlos Estévez is pitching to a 0.96 ERA (18.2 IP – 2 ER) and has converted all nine of his save opportunities…Is looking to become first Angels pitcher to convert his first 10 save opportunities of a season since Ernesto Frieri converted his first 12 opportunities in 2012.
WALSH ON REHAB: Jared Walsh (headaches and insomnia) has played two games on his rehab assignment with Triple-A Salt Lake and is batting .400
(2/5) with one run scored and two walks.
THE INJURED LIST: Halos currently have 11 players on the injured list and have used the IL 13 total times this year.
ALL OVER THE INFIELD: Gio Urshela is one of six players in the Majors to appear at all four infield positions this season…He has made 16 starts at first base, nine starts at third base, eight at shortstop and one at second base.
FRIDAY NIGHT COMEBACK: Halos plated two runs in the 9th inning Friday night to secure a 5-4 victory… Marked third win this season when trailing after eight innings, which matches the Angels total from each of the last two seasons…Last time LAA had more than three wins in a season when trailing after eight frames was 2017 (5).
UNEARNED: Angels have allowed 25 unearned runs this season, which is the most in the Majors…Halos have committed 28 fielding errors this season, which is tied with San Francisco for the most in the Majors.
ON THE BOARD: Halos have not been shut out since Aug. 21, 2022 at Detroit…Current streak of 81 games without being shut out is the longest active streak in the Majors and fifth-longest streak in Angels history. NET-OW: Zack Neto has been hit by seven pitches this season, which is tied for third-most in the Majors… Since 1901, Neto’s seven HBP through his first 15 career games are the most in MLB…He also was the first player in Angels history to be hit a pitch in four consecutive games (April 18-21).
TODAY’S STARTING PITCHER – LHP PATRICK SANDOVAL
3-1, 3.41 ERA
Has allowed two-or-fewer earned runs in five of seven starts this season
- TODAY’S GAME: Making eighth start of the season and fifth on the road…Is in fifth Major League season with Angels…Made third Opening Day roster (also, 2020 & 2022).
- LAST TIME OUT: Did not factor in decision in last start on Monday vs. Houston after tossing 6.1 innings and allowing four earned runs on seven hits with no walks and two strikeouts.
- IN THE ARSENAL: This season, has thrown sliders 31.2% of the time, with opponents batting .170 (8/47) against the pitch…He throws changeups 28.9% of the time and is holding opponents to a .207 (12/58) average with 12 strikeouts.
- VS. CLEVELAND: In four career games vs. Guardians, is 1-1 with a 3.20 ERA (19.2 IP – 7 ER)…Last season, was 1-0 with a 1.46 ERA (12.1 IP – 2 ER) in two starts vs. Cleveland…Tossed seven scoreless frames in win on April 26, 2022 vs. Guardians at Angel Stadium, allowing two hits and one walk with nine strikeouts.
- AT PROGRESSIVE FIELD: Today marks second career appearance at Progressive Field…Is 0-0 with a 3.38 ERA (5.1 IP – 2 ER) following only previous start at the ballpark on Sept. 14, 2022 (5.1 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO).
- HOME OPENER: Started Angels Home Opener on April 7 vs. Toronto…Tossed 6.0 innings and allowed one earned run…Marked second time starting Angels Home Opener (also, 2020 vs. Seattle).
- LEFT IN THE PARK: Has not allowed a home run to a left-handed batter since Aug. 13, 2021 (Kyle Tucker, HOU)…Allowed just eight total home runs last season (all to right-handed batters)…Held opponents homerless through first nine starts of 2022 was the longest streak to begin a season in Angels history and longest overall streak for LAA since John Lackey had a nine game streak in 2005.
- GOOD NIGHT: This year, has a 2.57 ERA (28 IP – 8 ER) in night games, compared with a 6.00 ERA (9 IP – 6 ER) in day games….Last season, was 4-4 with a 2.50 ERA (72 IP – 20 ER) with 75 strikeouts in his 13 night starts, compared with a 2-5 record and 3.29 ERA (76.2 IP – 28 ER) in his 14 day games.
- WINNING STREAKS: Loss on April 20 at Yankees snapped streak of three straight winning decisions (dating back to last season), which was longest streak of career…Can match the streak again with a victory in today’s game.
CLEVELAND GUARDIANS NOTES:
No release available.