RAIDERS QB DEREK CARR, BRONCOS LB VON MILLER & JAGUARS WR JAMAL AGNEW NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF THE MONTH FOR SEPTEMBER
Quarterback DEREK CARR of the Las Vegas Raiders, linebacker VON MILLER of the Denver Broncos and wide receiver JAMAL AGNEW of the Jacksonville Jaguars are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Month for the month of September.
OFFENSE: QB DEREK CARR, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS
- Carr completed 88 of 136 pass attempts (64.7 percent) for a league-high 1,203 yards with six touchdowns for a 101.4 rating over the league’s first three weeks, helping the Raiders begin 3-0 for the first time since 2002.
- He recorded at least 375 passing yards and two touchdown passes in each game and is the fourth quarterback in NFL history with at least 1,200 passing yards through his team’s first three games of a season.
- This is the first Offensive Player of the Month award for Carr, who joins Rich Gannon (November, 2001) and Jay Schroeder (December, 1990) as the only Raiders quarterbacks to earn the honor.
- Carr joins wide receiver Henry Ellard (December, 1988) as the only former Fresno State players to win Offensive Player of the Month.
DEFENSE: LB VON MILLER, DENVER BRONCOS
- Miller recorded eight tackles, four sacks and a league-high six tackles for loss in helping the Broncos begin 3-0 for their first time since 2016.
- He was the only player in the AFC to record a sack in each of the first three weeks of the season.
- This is the fourth Defensive Player of the Month award for Miller:
- 2012: November
- 2014: October
- 2016: September
- 2021: September
- Miller ties Pro Football Hall of Famers Terrell Davis and Peyton Manning for the most-ever Player of the Month awards by a Broncos player (four).
SPECIAL TEAMS: WR JAMAL AGNEW, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
- Agnew returned three kickoffs for a total of 138 yards, including a 102-yard kickoff return touchdown in Week 2. In Week 3, he had a 109-yard missed field goal return for a touchdown, tied for the longest return in league annals.
- He became the first player in NFL history to register a touchdown of at least 100 yards in consecutive games.
- This is the first-career Special Teams Player of the Month award for Agnew and he joins punter Chris Hanson (September, 2005) as the only Jaguars to earn the honor.
- Agnew is the first-ever former University of San Diego player to win a Player of the Month award.
2021 AFC PLAYERS OF THE MONTH
|September||QB Derek Carr, Las Vegas||LB Von Miller, Denver||WR Jamal Agnew, Jacksonville|