WINNIPEG JETS NOTES:
The Winnipeg Jets visit the New York Rangers on Monday night in Winnipeg’s third game of a four-game road trip. The Jets are winless on the trip after a 3-1 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday and 4-2 defeat at the hands of the New Jersey Devils on Sunday. The Jets finish the trip on Wednesday against the New York Islanders before beginning a three-game homestand on Friday when they face the Colorado Avalanche.
Tale of the Tape
WPG Stat NYR
56 GP 56
34 W 33
21 L 14
1 OT 9
69 PTS 75
176 GF 191
147 GA 152
21.4% PP 23.5%
83.5% PK 79.9%
Next Five Games
Date Opp TV Radio
Feb. 20 At NYR SN CJOB/Power 97
Feb. 22 At NYI SN CJOB/Power 97
Feb. 24 COL TSN CJOB/Power 97
Feb. 26 NYI TSN CJOB/Power 97
Feb. 28 LAK TSN CJOB/Power 97
Recent Five Games
Date Opp SC Res Streak
Jan. 30 STL 4-2 W 1W
Feb. 11 CHI 4-1 W 2W
Feb. 14 SEA 3-2 SOW 3W
Feb. 16 At CBJ 3-1 L 1L
Feb. 19 At NJD 4-2 L 2L
Play-By-Play: John Bartlett
Analyst: Garry Galley
Rinkside: Sean Reynolds
Radio: 680 CJOB/Power 97
Play-By-Play: Paul Edmonds
Analyst: Jamie Thomas
Host: Kelly Moore
Monday, February 20
Jets at New York Rangers 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday, February 21
Day Off – No Media Availability
Wednesday, February 22
Morning Skate 11:30 a.m.
Jets at New York Islanders 7:00 p.m.
All Times Local
New Jersey Devils 4
Winnipeg Jets 2
Jets Scorers: Perfetti (8), Pionk (8)
Devils Scorers: Mercer (14, 15), Zetterlund (6), Wood (9)
Jets Goaltenders: Connor Hellebuyck (25 sv, 3 ga)
Devils Goaltender: Mackenzie Blackwood (23 sv, 2 ga)
Jets PP: 0-for-3
Jets PK: 2-for-2
Recap: The Jets held 1-0 and 2-1 leads, but lost 4-2 to the New Jersey Devils on Sunday night. Neal Pionk had a goal and an assist, while Mark Scheifele also had a pair of points with two assists. Dylan DeMelo led the Jets with five shots, while Josh Morrissey paced the team with four
blocked shots. Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck made 25 saves in his first start in three games.
The Jets are 14-13-1 on the road this season… Winnipeg is 5-9-0 in their past 14 road games after starting the season 9-4-1 away from home… Kyle Connor (11G, 14A) leads the Jets in scoring on the road with 25 points in 28 games… Mark Scheifele has a team leading 14 goals… Nikolaj Ehlers has 11 points (3G, 8A) in 11 road games this season and has a point in seven of the 11 games.
Winnipeg is fourth in the NHL with a penalty kill successful 83.5% of the time… Winnipeg hasn’t allowed a power play goal in 10 of their past 15 games… The last time the Jets had a penalty kill better than 82% was in 2013-14 when they finished the season at 83.2%… The franchise record for penalty kill percentage in a season is 85.2%, which occurred in Atlanta during the 2003-04 season.
The Jets are playing their ninth of 13 back-to-back sets on their schedule this season, having gone 11-6-0 so far… The Jets were 7-4-2 in the first game of a back-to-back last season and 5-5-2 in the second game for an overall record of 11-9-4.
Jets vs. NYR Notes
The Jets and Rangers face each other twice this season… The Jets won the first meeting in their season opener 4-1 at Canada Life Centre on Oct. 14.
The Jets win in October ended their four-game losing streak to the Rangers… The past four games between the Jets and Rangers have been decided by three goals… Winnipeg is 3-for-21 (14.3%) on the power play in their past six games against the Rangers… The Jets can sweep the season series with a win… The only Eastern Conference team the Jets have swept this season is the Ottawa Senators.
In New York
The Jets are 5-3-0 in their past eight trips to Madison Square Garden… Winnipeg is 17-for-19 on the penalty kill (89.5%) in the eight games.
Blake Wheeler leads the Jets in career scoring against the Rangers with 20 points (5G, 15A) in 35 games.. He had a five-game point streak (2G, 4A) against the Rangers from Feb. 11/18-Oct. 3/19… Mark Scheifele scored twice in the first game between the two sides this season and has a team leading eight goals against the Rangers.
Jets vs. NYR Past 10 Games
Date Opp Res G GA S PPO PPG PIM S PPO PPG PIM
12/08/2016 NYR L 1 2 18 3 0 8 24 4 2 6
02/11/2018 NYR L 1 3 38 4 0 13 28 4 0 13
03/06/2018 @NYR W 3 0 34 0 0 9 31 1 0 7
12/02/2018 @NYR SOW 4 3 42 4 1 4 19 2 0 8
02/12/2019 NYR W 4 3 36 2 0 8 37 4 2 4
10/03/2019 @NYR L 4 6 47 5 1 4 32 2 1 10
02/11/2020 NYR L 1 4 44 4 0 4 32 1 1 10
03/06/2022 NYR L 1 4 46 6 1 4 22 2 1 12
04/19/2022 @NYR L 0 3 31 1 0 4 34 2 1 2
10/14/2022 NYR W 4 1 34 3 1 4 41 2 0 6
NEW YORK RANGERS NOTES:
Calgary Flames 3, New York Rangers 2 – Overtime – February 18, 2023 – Scotiabank Saddledome
NYR Goals: V. Tarasenko (12), A. Lafreniere (10)
CGY Goals: A. Mangiapane (12), N. Kadri (21), M. Backlund (11)
NYR Goalie: J. Halak (OTL – 29/32)
CGY Goalie: J. Markstrom (W – 18/20)
NYR Shots: 20
CGY Shots: 32
NYR PP: 1/2
NYR PK: 2/3
RECAP/NOTES: The Rangers saw their seven-game win streak snapped on Saturday but salvaged a point after falling behind 2-0. On the road, the Blueshirts have a 10-game point streak, their longest since 2007-08. New York completed its four-game road trip with seven of eight points available.
- The New York Rangers return home to Madison Square Garden to host the Winnipeg Jets on Monday night (7:00 PM ET – TV: MSG Network – Radio: ESPN 98.7 FM).
- On Sunday afternoon, the Rangers acquired Tyler Motte from the Ottawa Senators. Motte returns for his second stint with the Rangers after playing nine regular season and 15 playoff games with the club during the 2021-22 campaign.
- The Blueshirts have won seven of their last eight games and have earned a point in 10-straight games (8-0-2).
- At home, New York has won five-straight games and eight of their last 10 contests at MSG.
- The Rangers have now earned points in 11 of their last 12 games (9-1-2) and 18 of their last 20 games (14-2-4). Dating back to November 30, Rangers have points in 28 of their 33 contests (23-5-5).
- The Blueshirts have scored four or more goals in seven of their last eight games.
- Against the West, New York is 19-5-4 and is 9-3-1 against Central Division teams.
- The Rangers defensemen group has collected 141 points, the second-most in the NHL and 112 assists, also the second most. 27.5 percent of all Rangers points this season have been contributed to a defenseman.
- New York’s 73 third period goals rank second in the NHL and their plus-22 third period goal differential ranks third.
- The Rangers’ plus-38 goal differential ranks tied for fifth in the NHL while their 3.36 goals per game are tied for ninth.
- The Blueshirts’ 16 comeback wins are tied for the second most in the NHL and their seven third-period comeback wins are tied for the fourth most
LAST FIVE GAMES
DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Feb. 18 at Calgary OTL, 3-2
Feb. 17 at Edmonton SOW, 5-4
Feb. 15 at Vancouver W, 6-4
Feb. 11 at Carolina W, 6-2
Feb. 10 Seattle W, 6-3
February 19 – Tyler Motte acquired from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for Julien Gauthier and a conditional seventhround pick in the 2023 NHL Draft.
February 10 – Libor Hajek re-assigned to Hartford
February 9 – Vladimir Tarasenko and defenseman Niko Mikkola acquired from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for a conditional first-round pick in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft, a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft, Sammy Blais, and Hunter Skinner.
ALL-TIME RECORD 33-23-1-11 (78 PTS)
NYR HOME 13-13-1-7 (34 PTS)
NYR AWAY 20-10-0-4 (44 PTS)
LAST FIVE MEETINGS 3-2-0
LEADING SCORER(S) – CURRENT RANGERS IN CAREER G: Tarasenko (13) – A: Panarin (17) – Pts: Tarasenko/Panarin (24)
LEADING SCORER(S) – ALL-TIME IN GAMES W/NYR G: Callahan (11) – A: Jagr (11) – Pts: Callahan (19)
10-GAME POINT STREAK
The Rangers are currently riding the longest active point streak in the NHL at 10 games. Their last point streak of 10+ games was a 13-game run in 2015-16 (11-0-2 from Oct. 18 – Nov. 15). This is the 17th different point streak of 10+ games in franchise history and fourth since the turn of the century. The Rangers’ last regulation loss came on January 19 against Boston.
- Filip Chytil has points in eight of his last 10 games (7G-4A) and in his last 18 games, Chytil has 18 points (11G-7A).
- Vincent Trocheck has points in four of his last six games (1G-6A) and nine points (2G-7A) in his last eight games. He has three multi-point games in his last five contests.
- Newly-acquired forward Vladimir Tarasenko has points (2G-1A) in three of his first five games with the team.
- Kaapo Kakko has 11 points (2G-9A) in his last 12 games.
- Alexis Lafreniere has points in six of his last seven games (4G-2A) and 10 of his last 11 games (5G-5A).
- The Rangers own a 60-12-4 record when Mika Zibanejad, Artemi Panarin, and Chris Kreider all three record a point.
- Igor Shesterkin is 25-8-7 on the season, his 25 wins are tied for the third most in the NHL. Shesterkin is 15-4-4 in his last 23 starts. On the road, he holds a 11-1-4 record.
- Jaroslav Halak has points (7-0-1) in eight-straight games and in nine of his last 10 appearances in net.