WASHINGTON CAPITALS NOTES:
Washington 6, New York Rangers 3
February 25, 2023 * Capital One Arena * Washington, D.C.
Shots: WSH: 27; NYR: 26
Power Plays: WSH: 1/2; NYR: 1/5
Three Stars: 1. Oshie (WSH), 2. Kuznetsov (WSH), 3. Kuemper (WSH)
Recalled forward Aliaksei Protas from AHL Hershey, 2/24
Acquired a 1st-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft, a 2nd-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft, a 3rd-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft and
forward Craig Smith from the Boston Bruins in exchange for Dmitry Orlov and forward Garnet Hathaway, 2/23
Loaned forward Aliaksei Protas to AHL Hershey, 2/21
Recalled defenseman Dylan McIlrath from AHL Hershey, 2/19
Loaned forward Joe Snively to AHL Hershey, 2/19
Loaned defenseman Dylan McIlrath to AHL Hershey, 2/18
Carl Hagelin: 10/12/22-2/25/23 (61 games)
Connor Brown: 10/20/22-2/25/23 (57 games)
John Carlson: 10/31/22-11/9/22, 12/27/22-2/25/23 (31 games)
Anthony Mantha: 2/12/23, 2/23/23-2/25/23 (3 games)
Marcus Johansson: 2/25/23 (1 game)
Tom Wilson: 10/12/22-1/6/23, 1/26/23-2/16/23 (49 games)
Nicklas Backstrom: 10/12/22-1/6/23, 1/24/22 (43 games)
Alex Ovechkin: 12/21/22 (1 game)
Washington Capitals: Media Notes
Dmitry Orlov: 11/7/22-12/9/22 (16 games)
Erik Gustafsson: 12/11/22 (1 game)
Lars Eller: 12/13/22 (1 game)
Sonny Milano: 12/15/22 (1 game)
Darcy Kuemper: 12/5/22-12/17/22 (7 games)
Hunter Shepard: 12/17/22 (1 game)
Alex Alexeyev: 12/11/22-12/19/22 (5 games)
Beck Malenstyn: 11/3/22-12/27/22 (26 games)
Martin Fehervary: 12/5/22-12/29/22 (12 games)
T.J. Oshie: 10/31/22-11/19/22, 12/19/22-12/31/22 (17 games)
Nic Dowd: 12/17/22, 1/17/23-2/18/23 (13 games)
Man Games Lost: 346
March 1, 10 p.m. ET at Anaheim (NBCSW, 106.7 The Fan/Caps Radio 24/7)
March 4, 6 p.m. ET at San Jose (NBCSW+, 106.7 The Fan/Caps Radio 24/7)
March 6, 10:30 p.m. ET vs. Los Angeles (NBCSW, 106.7 The Fan/Caps Radio 24/7)
March 9, 7 p.m. ET vs. New Jersey (NBCSW, 106.7 The Fan/Caps Radio 24/7)
March 11, 7:30 p.m. ET at New York Islanders (NBCSW, 106.7 The Fan/Caps Radio 24/7)
The Capitals visit the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday at KeyBank Center for the second of three meetings between the teams this season. The Capitals and Sabres will conclude their season series on March 15 at Capital One Arena. Washington is 67-85-15-8 all-time versus Buffalo and 12-2-3 in their last 17 games against the Sabres dating back to the 2018-19 season. In addition, the Capitals have won six-straight games at KeyBank Center and have a record of 8-2-1 in their last 11 games in Buffalo.
AWAY vs. BUFFALO SABRES
Record Goals For Goals Against Streak
32-46-6-3 229 310 6 WSH wins (1/14/21-3/25/22)
CAPITALS vs. SABRES ALL-TIME (Career Totals)
Games Goals Assists Points
Ovechkin (60) Ovechkin (39) Backstrom (26) Ovechkin (63)
Backstrom/Eller (51) Backstrom/Smith (13) Ovechkin (24) Backstrom (39)
Carlson (40) Johansson (12) Kuznetsov (17) Oshie/Kuznetsov/Smith (21)
BUFFALO SABRES NOTES:
Friday, Feb. 24
Buffalo 3 at Florida 1
Goals: Skinner (2), Tuch
Goalies: Anderson (49 saves/50 shots)
PP: 1/2; PK: 3/3; Shots: Florida 50 – Buffalo 33
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 103)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST SEVEN DAYS
Tuesday, Feb. 28: Columbus at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, March 2: Buffalo at Boston, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 4: Tampa Bay at Buffalo, 12:30 p.m.
Monday, March 6: Edmonton at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, March 7: Buffalo at NY Islanders, 7:30 p.m.
CAPITALS AT SABRES
• This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Capitals this season.
• Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Washington 5-4 (OT) in Washington on Jan. 3.
• Next meeting: Saturday, March 15 in Washington
• The Sabres are 3-4-3 in their last 10 games against the Capitals; 3-5-2 at home.
• This is the 175th game all-time between Buffalo and Washington; Buffalo has a 93-58-24 series record.
• The Sabres are 49-27-11 at home against the Capitals all-time.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
• Buffalo has earned at least one point in four of its last five games against Washington.
• Each of the last three meetings between the two clubs have been decided in overtime or a shootout.
• Rasmus Dahlin has recorded 45 points (7+38) in his last 42 games, including 14 points (1+13) in his last 14 games.
• Tage Thompson has recorded 27 points (12+15) in his last 22 games, including nine points (4+5) in his last five games.
• A point in today’s game would give Thompson a six-game point streak, which would mark the fourth time this season, and the fifth time in his career, he has notched a point streak of six or more games.
• Jack Quinn has recorded four points (2+2) in his last five games.
• In his last 36 games, Jeff Skinner has notched 44 points (19+25).
• With a point today, Skinner will have recorded his third point streak of six or more games this season.
• In his last seven games, Casey Mittelstadt has tallied seven points (2+5).
• Alex Tuch has notched 17 points (8+9) in his last 16 games, including seven points (4+3) in his last five games.
• Dylan Cozens needs one point to reach 100 for his career.
• Buffalo has held Washington without a power-play goal in six of the last seven meetings between the two teams, going 13-for14 (92.9 percent) on the penalty kill during that span.
• Jeff Skinner has notched three points (2+1) in his last two games against the Capitals and a point in today’s game would give him a three-game point streak against Washington.
• Casey Mittelstadt is riding a four-game point streak (2+2) against Washington and has recorded four points (2+2) in that span.
• Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has posted a save percentage of .919 and a goals-against average of 2.81 in two career games against the Capitals.