PITTSBURGH PENGUINS NOTES:
LAST 2 GAMES
Mar. 16: NY Rangers 3, Pittsburgh 2 – PPG Paints Arena
PIT Goals: Rakell, Guentzel
Multiple Points: Rakell (1G-1A), Crosby (2A)
Goalie: Jarry (31 saves, 34 shots)
Key Stats: Sidney Crosby (2A) ensured he will average a point per game for the 18th straight season.
Mar. 14: Montreal 6, Pittsburgh 4 – PPG Paints Arena
PIT Goals: Guentzel (2), Malkin (PP), Letang
Multiple Points: Guentzel (2G-1A), Letang (1G-2A), Malkin (1G1A)
Goalie: Jarry (3 saves, 7 shots), DeSmith (12 saves, 13 shots)
Key Stats: Jake Guentzel’s third three-point game of the year wasn’t enough as Pittsburgh fell at home.
Position Player Status Consecutive Games Missed Total Games Missed
F Nick Bonino Kidney 4 4
D Dmitry Kulikov Lower-Body 2 2
2022-23 Total Regular-Season Man-Games Lost: 158
Mar. 16 F Ryan Poehling activated off of injured reserve.
Mar. 10 F Alex Nylander recalled from WBS (AHL).
Mar. 9 F Alex Nylander re-assigned to WBS (AHL).
Mar. 7 F Alex Nylander recalled from WBS (AHL).
Mar. 4 F Drew O’Connor recalled from WBS (AHL).
Pittsburgh’s All-Time Record vs. Rangers: 136-123-36
In Pittsburgh: 72-54-20
In New York: 64-69-16
OT Record vs. Rangers: 26-11-17
Shootout Record vs. Rangers: 7-4
2022-23 Results: Pittsburgh is 2-1-0.
Penguins All-Time Point Leaders vs. RANGERS:
Mario Lemieux: 70 GP, 132 PTS (61G-71A)
Sidney Crosby 81 GP, 104 PTS (38G-66A)
Evgeni Malkin 70 GP, 70 PTS (31G-39A)
- The Penguins conclude their series of back-to-back games against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden (TV: ABC; Radio: 105.9 The X).
- Pittsburgh has points in 16 of its last 22 games versus New York (13-6-3), and is 17-8-3 in its last 28 games versus the Rangers.
- A win tonight would allow Pittsburgh to take the season series with New York for the sixth time in the last eight seasons.
- Pittsburgh is 3-1-1 in its last five games versus Metropolitan Division opponents.
- The Penguins are 7-3-1 over their last 11 games total.
NEW YORK RANGERS NOTES:
New York Rangers 4, Pittsburgh Penguins 2 – March 16, 2023 – Madison Square Garden
NYR Goals: M. Zibanejad (35), T. Motte (4), C. Kreider (29, 30)
PIT Goals: R. Rakell (24), J. Guentzel (30)
NYR Goalie: I. Shesterkin (W – 30/32)
PIT Goalie: T. Jarry (L – 31/34)
NYR Shots: 35
PIT Shots: 32
NYR PP: 0/2
NYR PK: 0/0
RECAP/NOTES: The Rangers grew their lead over Pittsburgh in the playoff race with a 4-2 win over them on Thursday night at MSG. New York was led by multi-point games from Vincent Trocheck, Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad and a 30-save performance by Igor Shesterkin. In the win, K’Andre Miller played in his 200th career NHL game.
- The New York Rangers finish off their regular season series with the Penguins when Pittsburgh plays at MSG for the second time in three days (8:00 PM ET – TV: ABC, ESPN Plus – Radio: ESPN 98.7 FM). The Rangers begin a back-to-back, where they are 8-3-2 in the first game of back-to-back sets this year.
- New York has points in five-straight games (4-0-1). At home, the Blueshirts have won eight of their last 10 games and are 11-4-0 in their last 15 home games. Against Pittsburgh at home, New York has points in seven of its last eight contests (6-1-1).
- Since December 5, New York is 28-9-5 for 61 points. In the NHL in that span, the Rangers rank third in wins, points, points percentage (.726), power play percentage (25.4), and sixth in goals per game (3.48).
- The Rangers have scored five or more goals on 19 occasions this season, tied for the fourth most in the NHL. When scoring four or more goals, New York is 26-0-0 and one of two teams in the NHL (VGK) to have a perfect such record.
- The Blueshirts’ 19 comeback wins are tied for the third most in the NHL and their eight third-period comeback wins are tied for the fourth most in the NH. Their eight third-period comeback wins are tied for the second most in franchise history (11 – 2010-11).
- Filip Chytil and Vincent Trocheck are both within one of reaching the 20-goal mark this season and joining Kreider, Zibanejad and Panarin. The last season to feature five different 20-goal scorers for the Ranger was 2015-16 (Derick Brassard, Mats Zuccarello, J.T. Miller, Derek Stepan and Chris Kreider).
- When scoring first this year, the Blueshirts are 26-5-4 and 20-3-3 when leading after the second period. When tied after two periods, the Rangers have 13 wins, the most in the NHL.
- The Rangers defensemen group has compiled 160 points, tied for the sixth most in the NHL.
UPCOMING GAMES (ALL TIMES ET)
DATE/TIME OPPONENT/LOCATION TV RADIO
Mar. 19/7:00 PM Nashville/Madison Square Garden MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 21/7:00 PM Carolina/Madison Square Garden MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 23/7:00 PM Carolina/PNC Arena MSGSN ESPN 1050 AM
Mar. 25/5:00 PM Florida/FLA Live Arena MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 28/7:00 PM Columbus/Madison Square Garden MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
LAST FIVE GAMES
DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Mar. 16 Pittsburgh W, 4-2
Mar. 14 Washington W, 5-3
Mar. 12 at Pittsburgh OTL, 3-2
Mar. 11 at Buffalo OTW, 2-1
Mar. 9 at Montreal SOW, 4-3
MAN GAMES LOST – 42
PLAYER INJURY/REASON DATES MISSED CONS. GAMES MISSED
Ryan Lindgren Upper Body Feb. 26-Mar. 16 9
ALL-TIME RECORD 136-119-23-17 (312 PTS)
NYR HOME 77-55-9-8 (171 PTS)
NYR AWAY 59-64-14-9 (141 PTS)
LAST FIVE MEETINGS 3-1-1
LEADING SCORER(S) – CURRENT RANGERS IN CAREER G: Panarin (13) – A: Kane (19) – Pts: Panarin (31)
LEADING SCORER(S) – ALL-TIME IN GAMES W/NYR G: Ratelle (23) – A: Leetch (70) – Pts: Leetch (89)
2022-23 SEASON SERIES
December 20 at Pittsburgh L, 3-2
March 12 at Pittsburgh OTL, 3-2
March 16 at MSG W, 4-2
March 18 at MSG 8:00 PM ET
- The Rangers have scored a power play goal in four of their last six games (5G), seven of their last 10 games (8G) and nine of their last 14 contests (11G).
- On the penalty kill, New York has been perfect in six of their last seven games