PITTSBURGH PENGUINS NOTES:
LAST 2 GAMES
Mar. 14: Montreal 6, Pittsburgh 4 – PPG Paints Arena
PIT Goals: Guentzel (2), Malkin (PP), Letang
Multiple Points: Guentzel (2G-1A), Letang (1G-2A), Malkin (1G1A)
Goalie: Jarry (3 saves, 7 shots), DeSmith (12 saves, 13 shots)
Key Stats: Jake Guentzel’s third three-point game of the year wasn’t enough as Pittsburgh fell at home.
Mar. 12: Pittsburgh 3, NY Rangers 2 (OT) – PPG Paints Arena
PIT Goals: Rakell (PP), Zucker, Letang (OT)
Multiple Points: Crosby (2A), Malkin (2A)
Goalie: Jarry (27 saves, 29 shots)
Key Stats: Kris Letang scored his third overtime goal of the season to help Pittsburgh extend its point streak to four games (3-0-1).
Position Player Status Consecutive Games Missed Total Games Missed
F Ryan Poehling Upper-Body 14 28
F Nick Bonino Kidney 3 3
D Dmitry Kulikov Lower-Body 1 1
2022-23 Total Regular-Season Man-Games Lost: 156
Mar. 10 F Alex Nylander recalled from WBS (AHL).
Mar. 9 F Alex Nylander re-assigned to WBS (AHL).
Mar. 7 F Alex Nylander recalled from WBS (AHL).
Mar. 4 F Drew O’Connor recalled from WBS (AHL).
Mar. 3 D Dmitry Kulikov acquired in exchange for Brock McGinn and a 2024 third-round draft pick.
Pittsburgh’s All-Time Record vs. Rangers: 136-122-36
In Pittsburgh: 72-54-20
In New York: 64-68-16
OT Record vs. Rangers: 26-11-17
Shootout Record vs. Rangers: 7-4
2022-23 Results: Pittsburgh is 2-0-0.
Penguins All-Time Point Leaders vs. RANGERS:
Mario Lemieux: 70 GP, 132 PTS (61G-71A)
Sidney Crosby 80 GP, 102 PTS (38G-64A)
Evgeni Malkin 69 GP, 70 PTS (31G-39A)
- The Penguins hit the road for the first of two-consecutive games against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden (TV: AT&T Sportsnet; Radio: 105.9 The X).
- Pittsburgh has points in 16 of its last 21 games versus New York (13-5-3), and is 17-7-3 in its last 27 games versus the Rangers.
- A win tonight would allow Pittsburgh to take the season series with New York for the sixth time in the last eight seasons.
- Pittsburgh is 3-0-1 in its last four games versus Metropolitan Division opponents.
- The Penguins are 7-2-1 over their last 10 games total.
NEW YORK RANGERS NOTES:
New York Rangers 5, Washington Capitals 3 – March 14, 2023 – Madison Square Garden
NYR Goals: M. Zibanejad (33, 34), P. Kane (19), J. Trouba (7), J. Vesey (10)
WSH Goals: N. Aube-Kubel (4), M. Irwin (2), N. Dowd (12)
NYR Goalie: I. Shesterkin (W – 28/31)
WSH Goalie: D. Kuemper (L – 31/35)
NYR Shots: 36
WSH Shots: 31
NYR PP: 1/2
NYR PK: 4/4
RECAP/NOTES: New York began their season-long, five-game homestand with a 5-3 win over the Capitals on Tuesday night at MSG. The Blueshirts built a 4-1 lead in the second period and added an empty net tally in the third from Jimmy Vesey to earn the win.
- The New York Rangers play host to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the first of two games against them this week as they continue a season-long five-game homestand (7:00 PM ET – TV: MSG Network – Radio: ESPN 98.7 FM).
- New York has points in four-straight games (3-0-1). At home, the Blueshirts have won seven of their last nine games and are 10-4-0 in their last 14 home games. Against Pittsburgh at home, New York has points in six of its last seven contests (5-1-1).
- Since December 5, New York is 27-9-5 for 59 points. In the NHL in that span, the Rangers rank third in wins, points, and third in points percentage (.720).
- The Rangers have scored five or more goals on 19 occasions this season, tied for the fourth most in the NHL. When scoring four or more goals, New York is 25-0-0 and one of two teams in the NHL (VGK) to have a perfect such record.
- The Rangers defensemen group has compiled 159 points, the fifth most in the NHL.
- The Blueshirts’ 19 comeback wins are tied for the third most in the NHL and their eight third-period comeback wins are tied for the fourth most in the NH. Their eight third-period comeback wins are tied for the second most in franchise history (11 – 2010-11).
- Filip Chytil and Vincent Trocheck are both within one of reaching the 20-goal mark this season and joining Kreider, Zibanejad and Panarin. The last season to feature five different 20-goal scorers for the Ranger was 2015-16 (Derick Brassard, Mats Zuccarello, J.T. Miller, Derek Stepan and Chris Kreider).
- When scoring first this year, the Blueshirts are 25-5-4 and 19-3-3 when leading after the second period. When tied after two periods, the Rangers have 13 wins, the most in the NHL.
UPCOMING GAMES (ALL TIMES ET)
DATE/TIME OPPONENT/LOCATION TV RADIO
Mar. 18/8:00 PM Pittsburgh/Madison Square Garden ABC, ESPN Plus ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 19/7:00 PM Nashville/Madison Square Garden MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 21/7:00 PM Carolina/Madison Square Garden MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
Mar. 23/7:00 PM Carolina/PNC Arena MSGSN ESPN 1050 AM
Mar. 25/5:00 PM Florida/FLA Live Arena MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
LAST FIVE GAMES
DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Mar. 14 Washington W, 5-3
Mar. 12 at Pittsburgh OTL, 3-2
Mar. 11 at Buffalo OTW, 2-1
Mar. 9 at Montreal SOW, 4-3
Mar. 4 at Boston L, 4-2
MAN GAMES LOST – 41
PLAYER INJURY/REASON DATES MISSED CONS. GAMES MISSED
Ryan Lindgren Upper Body Feb. 26-Mar. 14 8
March 11 – Jonny Brodzinski re-assigned to Hartford.
March 7 – Jonny Brodzinski recalled from Hartford.
ALL-TIME RECORD 135-119-23-17 (310 PTS)
NYR HOME 76-55-9-8 (169 PTS)
NYR AWAY 59-64-14-9 (141 PTS)
LAST FIVE MEETINGS 3-1-1
LEADING SCORER(S) – CURRENT RANGERS IN CAREER G: Panarin (13) – A: Kane (19) – Pts: Panarin (30)
LEADING SCORER(S) – ALL-TIME IN GAMES W/NYR G: Ratelle (23) – A: Leetch (70) – Pts: Leetch (89)
2022-23 SEASON SERIES
December 20 at Pittsburgh L, 3-2
March 12 at Pittsburgh OTL, 3-2
March 16 at MSG 7:00 PM ET
March 18 at MSG 8:00 PM ET
- The Rangers have scored a power play goal in four of their last five games (5G), seven of their last nine games (8G) and nine of their last 13 contests (11G).