NEW YORK RNAGERS NOTES:
New York Rangers 3, Calgary Flames 1 – October 24, 2023 – Scotiabank Saddledome
NYR Goals: A. Lafreniere (3), C. Kreider (5), E. Gustafsson (2)
CGY Goals: B. Coleman (2)
NYR Goalie: I. Shesterkin (W – 24/25)
CGY Goalie: J. Markstrom (L – 17/20)
NYR Shots: 20
CGY Shots: 25
NYR PP: 2/5
NYR PK: 4/4
RECAP/NOTES: The Rangers once again rallied from allowing the first goal of the game to earn their second consecutive victory for the first time this season. New York scored all three of its goals in the second period, with two coming on the power play. It was the Blueshirts’ first win in Calgary since March 2, 2018.
- The New York Rangers travel to Edmonton to play the Oilers in the third game of the five game road trip (10:00 PM ET – TV: MSG Network – Radio: ESPN 98.7 FM). The Blueshirts will try to push their road win streak to three games, something they did on three different occasions last season.
- New York has recorded a power play goal in five of its first six games. The team’s 30 percent power play percentage ranks sixth in the NHL.
- The Blueshirts have allowed the fourth fewest (tied) goals in the NHL with 13 and fifth fewest GA/GP (2.17). The Rangers have allowed the fewest shots per game in the NHL (24.0).
- The Blueshirts’ 15 goals on the road are tied for the third most in the NHL while their 2.00 GA/GP on the road are tied for the third fewest in the NHL.
- In all four wins, the Blueshirts have allowed one goal and in three of four wins the team has won by two or more goals.
- According to NHL Edge, the Rangers have spent the sixth most percentage of time in the offensive zone in the NHL with a 43.4 percent clip and seventh fewest time in the defensive zone (39.0%).
- Since 2012-13, the Blueshirts are 5-2-2 on the road against the Oilers, including a shootout victory against them on Feb. 17, 2023.
- The Rangers are 2-0-0 against Pacific Division teams thus far. They had a 11-2-3 record last season against Pacific Division teams and overall against the Western Conference, New York had a 21-6-5 mark in 2022-23.
- Blake Wheeler has points in five of his last seven games against Edmonton (1G-4A) and Artemi Panarin has eight points (1G-7A) in his last four contests against the Oilers. Chris Kreider has goals in five-straight games against them.
UPCOMING GAMES (ALL TIMES ET)
DATE/TIME OPPONENT/LOCATION TV RADIO
Sat. Oct. 28/10:00 PM Vancouver/Rogers Arena MSG Network ESPN 1050 AM
Mon. Oct. 30/7:30 PM Winnipeg/Canada Life Centre MSG Network ESPN 98.7 FM
Thu. Nov. 2/7:00 PM Carolina/Madison Square Garden MSG Network TBD
Sat. Nov. 4/8:00 PM Minnesota/Xcel Energy Center MSG Network TBD
Tue. Nov. 7/7:30 PM Detroit/Madison Square Garden TNT TBD
LAST FIVE GAMES
DATE OPPONENT RESULT
Tue. Oct. 24 at Calgary W, 3-1
Sat. Oct. 21 at Seattle W, 4-1
Thu. Oct. 19 Nashville L, 4-1
Mon. Oct. 16 Arizona W, 2-1
Sat. Oct. 14 at Columbus L, 5-3
MAN GAMES LOST – 1
On the road, the Blueshirts are 3-1-0 so far and their six road points rank tied for third in the NHL. New York has scored 15 road goals, tied for the third most in the league and third fewest (tied) GA/GP (2.00). The Rangers’ 30.8 power play percentage ranks sixth in the NHL on the road and their 54.4 road faceoff percentage is tied for fifth. Since the 2021-22 campaign, New York has been one of the best road teams in the
- The Rangers finished with a 24.1 power play percentage in 2022-23, the fifth highest in club history and the seventh highest in the NHL.
- On the penalty kill in 2022-23, the Blueshirts allowed 42 power play goals, tied for the seventh fewest in the NHL.
EDMONTON OILERS NOTES:
ALL-TIME RECORDS vs. NY RANGERS GP RECORD HOME (40) AWAY (42) GF GA
OILERS ALL-TIME vs. NY RANGERS 82 38-32-9-3 18-18-3-1 20-14-6-2 283 286
OILERS vs. NY RANGERS – 2023-24 0 0-0-0 0-0-0 0-0-0 0 0
- Thursday’s game will mark Edmonton’s first of two games against the Rangers this season and the lone game in Edmonton. The next time these teams meet is on December 22nd in New York.
- The last time these teams met was on February 17th in Edmonton, where the Rangers defeated the Oilers 5-4 in a shootout.
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins leads the team with 19 career points (7G, 12A) against the Rangers and Cody Ceci has appeared in a team leading 33 career games against New York.
GOALS BY PERIOD
The Oilers rank 2nd in the NHL in first period goals (9) through six games, trailing only Philadelphia (10). In 2022-23, the Oilers ranked 1st in the NHL in goals for in the first period (92) and the second period (128).
SIX OF A KIND
Six Oilers (Hyman, Draisaitl, Bouchard, McDavid, Foegele and Nugent-Hopkins) posted multi-point efforts on Oct. 17 at NSH.
KING OF THE POWER PLAY
Leon Draisaitl scored twice on the power play on Oct. 17 at NSH and now sits at 128 career power play goals. His 127th power play goal in the 1st period against Nashville, moved him into sole possession of 1st in power play goals in Oilers franchise history. Ryan Smyth and Glenn Anderson sit second with 126. Draisaitl has also recorded 6 power play points (3G, 3A) in six games this season, tying him for 4th in the NHL.
OILERS vs. N.Y. RANGERS – ALL-TIME INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
2023-24 Regular Season Career
Goalie GP W-L-OT SO GA GAA GP W-L-T-OT SO GA GAA
Campbell, Jack 0 0-0-0 0 0 0.00 6 3-1-0-2 0 18 2.94
Skinner, Stuart 0 0-0-0 0 0 0.00 0 0-0-0-0 0 0 0.00
LAST 10 GAMES vs. NY RANGERS
GF: 35 GA: 33
2022-23 2/17/23 @ EDM 5-4 L (SO)
2022-23 11/26/22 @ NYR 4-3 W
2021-22 1/3/22 @ NYR 4-1 L
2021-22 11/5/21 @ EDM 6-5 W
2019-20 12/31/19 @ EDM 7-5 W
2019-20 10/12/19 @ NYR 4-1 W
2019-20 3/11/19 @ EDM 3-2 W (OT)
2018-19 10/13/18 @ NYR 2-1 W
2017-18 3/3/18 @ EDM 2-3 L
2017-18 11/11/17 @ NYR 2-4 L