CAROLINA HURRICANES NOTES:
The Hurricanes earned a 6-3 win over the San Jose Sharks at SAP Center on Tuesday, scoring four unanswered goals in the third period to erase a 3-2 deficit. Michael Bunting (2a), Seth Jarvis (2g), Jesperi Kotkaniemi (2a), Martin Necas (1g, 1a), Stefan Noesen (1g, 1a) and Brady Skjei (2a) all posted multi-point games, as Skjei extended his season-opening assist/point streak to four games. Brett Pesce and Jaccob Slavin also lit the lamp, with Slavin scoring his second shorthanded goal in 2023-24. Frederik Andersen made one save in the first period before leaving the game due to injury, and Antti Raanta stopped 12 of 14 shots faced in 54:12 to record his first win of the season in relief.
Sebastian Aho, upper-body, missed one game (10/17)
Andrei Svechnikov, knee, missed four games (10/11-10/17)
2023-24 Man-Games Lost Due to Injury: 5
Oct. 18 Recalled Pyotr Kochetkov from Syracuse (AHL)
Oct. 16 Reassigned Noel Gunler to Karpat (Liiga)
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV RADIO
Oct. 19 at Seattle 10 p.m. BSSO HRN
Oct. 21 at Colorado 9 p.m. BSSO HRN
Oct. 24 at Tampa Bay 7 p.m. BSSO HRN
Oct. 26 vs. Seattle 7 p.m. BSSO HRN
Oct. 27 vs. San Jose 7 p.m. BSSO HRN
- All times are Eastern | BSSO = Bally Sports South | HRN = Hurricanes Radio Network
HURRICANES vs. KRAKEN SERIES NOTES
— The Hurricanes and Kraken are facing in the first of two meetings between the teams during the 2023-24 season. Seattle will travel to PNC Arena on 10/26.
— Carolina and Seattle are meeting for the fifth time in their regular-season histories. Carolina holds a 3-1-0 overall record, including a 1-1-0 road record.
— The Hurricanes won the season series 2-0-0 in 2022-23 (Kraken: 0-2-0).
— Carolina earned a 5-1 win over Seattle at Climate Pledge Arena on 10/17/22. Sebastian Aho (1g, 2a), Andrei Svechnikov (2g, 1a) and Stefan Noesen (2a) each posted multi-point games, while Frederik Andersen stopped 22 of 23 shots faced in net.
— The Hurricanes posted a 3-2 win over the Kraken at PNC Arena on 12/15/22. Derek Stepan and Andrei Svechnikov scored for Carolina, and Stefan Noesen netted the game winner on the first penalty shot of his NHL career. Pyotr Kochetkov stopped 15 of 17 shots faced in net.
— Michael Bunting has registered five points (1g, 4a) in four career regular-season games against Seattle.
— Brent Burns has tallied three assists in six career regular-season games against the Kraken, and he has scored a goal against each of the other 31 NHL franchises.
— Brian Dumoulin was selected by Carolina in the second round (51st overall) of the 2009 NHL Draft, but he was traded to PIT before playing a game with the organization. He was sent to the Penguins on 6/22/12, along with Brandon Sutter and a first-round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft (Derrick Pouliot), in exchange for Jordan Staal.
— Kraken General Manager Ron Francis was drafted fourth overall by the Whalers in the 1981 NHL Draft and recorded 1,175 points (382g, 793a) in 1,186 games with Hartford/Carolina over two stints with the team from 1981-91 and 1998-04. He captained the team for 10 seasons (1985-90, 1999-04) and ranks first in franchise history in games played, goals, assists, points and power-play goals (132). Francis also worked in the Hurricanes’ front office from 2006-18, most recently serving as General Manager and Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations in his final four seasons with the team (2014-18).
— Kraken Vice President and Assistant General Manager Ricky Olczyk served as an Assistant General Manager with the Hurricanes from 2014-18.
SEATTLE KRAKEN NOTES:
Seattle 1 vs. Colorado 4
Goalie: Grubauer (24/27)
PP: 0/4 PK: 2/2 Shots: Seattle 38 – Colorado 28
CURRENT INJURIES – (MAN GAMES LOST: 3)
Brandon Tanev (lower body) – 3 games – week-to-week
Saturday, Oct. 21: NY Rangers at Seattle, 7 p.m. PT
Tuesday, Oct. 24: Seattle at Detroit, 5:15 p.m. PT
Thursday, Oct. 26: Seattle at Carolina, 4 p.m. PT
Saturday, Oct. 28: Seattle at Florida, 3 p.m. PT
Monday, Oct. 30: Seattle at Tampa Bay, 4 p.m. PT
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Tonight’s game is the first of two matchups between the Kraken and Hurricanes this season. They will next face off a week from today in Carolina.
- Andre Burakovsky has three points (one goal, two assists) in his last three games against Carolina, which includes recording his 300th NHL point (a goal) on Oct. 17, 2022 against the Hurricanes.
- Jamie Oleksiak (12) and Adam Larsson (13) were tied for first and third, respectively, among all NHL skaters in blocked shots this season entering play Wednesday. o Seattle and San Jose were the only two teams to have two players ranked in the top 10 in the league in blocked shots entering play Wednesday.
- Seattle skaters have combined for 65 blocked shots this season, which tied with Pittsburgh for the third-most in the NHL entering play Wednesday.
- The Kraken have recorded 28 takeaways through the team’s first four games of the season, which ranked third in the league entering play Wednesday.
- With his assist on Oct. 14 at St. Louis, Vince Dunn became the third player and first defenseman in franchise history to record 100 points with the Kraken, joining Jared McCann and Jordan Eberle.
- Seattle General Manager Ron Francis spent 28 seasons with the Hurricanes franchise, 16 as a player and 12 as a part of the team’s front office.
- Francis was selected by the Hurricanes franchise – then the Hartford Whalers – with the fourth-overall pick in the 1981 NHL Draft. He played 10 seasons for the Whalers (1981-82 to 1990-91) and then returned to the organization when they relocated to Carolina, playing for the Hurricanes from 1998-99 to 2003-04.
- The Hockey Hall of Famer remains the franchise leader in every major scoring category: goals (382), assists (793), points (1,175), power-play goals (132) and game-winning goals (57). His 1,186 career games played with the team is also a franchise record.
- After retiring from playing, Francis joined Carolina’s front office in 2006-07 where held a number of roles until eventually being promoted to General Manager in 2014-15. He remained in that role until he left the organization at the conclusion of the 2017-18 season.