ARIZONA COYOTES NOTES:
3 HARD LAPS
• Arizona is fresh of a 4-1 victory over CHI last night and is 6-2-4 in its last 12 GP. The team finished February with a 5-2-3 record
• Linemates Clayton Keller and Nick Schmaltz have each tallied 20 points in 14 games apiece since 1/22 to share the NHL’s fourth-highest total since then. They enter tonight on 5-game and 4-game point streaks, respectively
• Schmaltz has scored in each of his last four games, the second time in his career he’s posted a 4-game goal streak. The last time a Coyote notched a 5-game goal streak was Yanic Perreault from 11/11/06 – 11/19/06
Coyotes 4, Blackhawks 1 – February 28, 2023 – Mullett Arena
ARI Goals: Boyd (9), Hayton (9), McBain (8), Schmaltz (18)
CHI Goals: Athanasiou (14)
ARI Goalie: Vejmelka (W) – 23 svs on 24 shots
CHI Goalie: Stalock (L) – 29 svs on 33 shots
PP: 0-1 PK: 2-2
Notes: ARI extended its home point streak to seven games (5-0-2) against Chicago dating to 2/12/18, its longest home point streak since a 6-0-1 run vs WSH from 10/23/08 – 12/22/17…Travis Boyd scored his third goal in his last five games, which was his first career unassisted goal… The tally was Boyd’s fourth game-opening goal of the season, tying him with Shayne Gostisbehere and Clayton Keller for the team-lead…Keller and Nick Schmaltz extended their point streaks to five games and four games respectively after both assisting on Barrett Hayton’s goal…Schmaltz’s run has featured goals in all four games; his 4-game goal streak is a season-high by a Coyote…Keller and Schmaltz have combined for 40 points in 14 games apiece since 1/22…Hayton has recorded 8-11-19 in his last 27 GP after beginning the season with 1-4-5 in his first 33 outings…All nine of Hayton’s goals have come at home, ranking third on the team in goals at Mullett Arena…Matias Maccelli chipped in an assist to become the fourth rookie to reach 30 points (4-26-30) this season…Jack McBain scored a goal and picked up a fighting major…The Coyotes are 6-1-0 this season when McBain scores…Liam O’Brien’s 13 hits were a single-game career-high and are tied for the second-most hits in a game in franchise history; Shane Doan’s 14 hits on 12/3/2011 vs PHI is the franchise record
MAN GAMES LOST (Name/Roster Status/Injury Type/Games Missed/Last Game Played)
Josh Brown…Day-to-Day…Upper-Body (2 / 2/22)
Total man games lost: 120 games
Liam O’Brien – 23 (12/17 – 2/6) – Upper-Body | 2 (2/11 – 2/13) – Upper-Body
Jakob Chychrun – 16 (10/13 – 11/17) – Upper-Body
Matias Maccelli – 16 (12/27 – 1/24) – Lower-Body
Nick Schmaltz – 15 (10/15 – 11/17) – Upper-Body | 1 (12/31) – Upper-Body
Zack Kassian – 9 (11/1 – 11/21) – Lower-Body
Connor Timmins – 9 (10/15 – 11/5) – Upper-Body
Shayne Gostisbehere – 8 (1/26 – 2/18) – Upper-Body
Andrew Ladd – 6 (N/A) – Undisclosed
Josh Brown – 3 (11/23 – 11/27) – Upper-Body
Ben McCartney – 3 (10/13 – 10/17) – Lower-Body
Juuso Valimaki – 1 (11/23) – Upper-Body
Lawson Crouse – 1 (12/1) – Illness | 4 (1/19 – 1/24) – Upper-Body
Connor Ingram – 1 (1/8) – Illness
-2/28 – Recalled F Laurent Dauphin from Tucson (AHL)
-2/28 – Placed D Josh Brown on IR
-2/22 – Acquired 2023 5th Round Draft Pick and D Shea Weber from Vegas in exchange for D Dysin Mayo
DATE TIME (AZ) OPPONENT VENUE TV RADIO
Fri, March 3 7:30pm vs CAR Mullett Arena Bally Sports Arizona Extra ESPN 620
Sun, March 5 5pm vs NJD Mullett Arena Bally Sports Arizona 98.7 FM
Tue, March 7 7pm vs STL Mullett Arena Bally Sports Arizona 98.7 FM
YOTES & STARS
- Tonight is the third of four ARI-DAL matchups this season and the final one at the AAC. The Stars beat the Coyotes in both previous matchups
- The teams will square off once more on 3/31 in AZ
- Juuso Valimaki and Lawson Crouse scored the Coyotes goals in the 11/3 contest, the only tallies Arizona has posted against Dallas this season
- All three of the remaining ARI-DAL contests including tonight will be part of a back-to-back set of games for ARI
- Matias Maccelli missed the 1/21 ARI-DAL meeting due to injury but notched 2 assists in the contest at Mullett Arena on 11/3
- The final three ARI-DAL contests of this year’s season-series will be part of a back-to-back set of games for ARI
- Coyotes franchise vs Stars/North Stars
• All-Time: 74-90-13-10
• Home: 41-44-4-4
• Road: 33-46-9-6
• L10: 3-7-0
• STRK: L2
SCORING NOTABLES AGAINST THE STARS
Shayne Gostisbehere…6-5-11…13 career GP
Clayton Keller…3-7-10…13 career GP
Nick Schmaltz…1-8-9…12 career GP
Barrett Hayton…1-2-3…5 career GP
Juuso Valimaki…1-0-1…1 career GP
Goals (Gostisbehere, 6)… Assists (Schmaltz, 8)…Points (Gostisbehere, 11)
Career Leaders Among Defensemen
Goals (Gostisbehere, 6)… Assists (Gostisbehere, 5)…Points (Gostisbehere, 11)
DALLAS STARS NOTES:
LAST DALLAS STARS GAME
Feb. 27, 2023 – STARS 4 vs. CANUCKS 5 (OT)
A comeback wasn’t in the cards for the Stars, who fell 5-4 in overtime to the Vancouver Canucks at American Airlines Center on Monday. Forward Evgenii Dadonov (1-0—1) scored in his Stars debut a day after being traded from the Montreal Canadiens. In doing so, the 33-year-old became the oldest player to score in his Stars debut since Jaromir Jagr (40 years, 339 days) on Jan. 19, 2013. Captain Jamie Benn (1-1—2) opened the scoring for Dallas with his 15th career shorthanded goal – his second shorty of the season and the Stars’ seventh in 2022-23. Forward Roope Hintz (1-0—1) also lit the lamp for Dallas, as did defenseman Nils Lundkvist (1- 0—1). The game marked defenseman Esa Lindell’s 500th career NHL game, eighth-most among blueliners in Dallas Stars history (1993-present). Goaltender Jake Oettinger made 16 saves on 21 shots.
PP: 1-5 | PK: 2-3 | SF: 38 | SA: 21 | DAL TOI: Heiskanen (28:47 – game high) | Attendance: 17,876
Three Stars: 1. DAL– J. Benn 2. VAN – A. Beauvillier 3. VAN – A. Kuzmenko
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
Date Opponent Time (CT) Location TV/Radio
Wed, March 1, 2023 Arizona Coyotes 7:30 p.m. American Airlines Center BSSW/KTCK
Thu, March 2, 2023 Chicago Blackhawks 7:30 p.m. United Center BSSW/KTCK
Sat, March 4, 2023 Colorado Avalanche 2:30 p.m. American Airlines Center ABC/KTCK
Mon, March 6, 2023 Calgary Flames 7:30 p.m. American Airlines Center BSSW/KTCK
Thu, March 9, 2023 Buffalo Sabres 6 p.m. KeyBank Center BSSW/KTCK
Feb. 19 – Loaned forwards Fredrik Karlstrom and Fredrik Olofsson to Texas (AHL)
Feb. 20 – Recalled forwards Fredrik Karlstrom and Fredrik Olofsson from Texas (AHL)
Feb. 21 – Loaned forwards Fredrik Karlstrom and Fredrik Olofsson to Texas (AHL)
Feb. 22 – Recalled forward Fredrik Olofsson and goaltender Matt Murray from Texas (AHL)
Feb. 23 – Loaned forward Fredrik Olofsson and goaltender Matt Murray to Texas (AHL)
Feb. 24 – Recalled forward Fredrik Olofsson from Texas (AHL)
Feb. 26 – Acquired forward Evgenii Dadonov from Montreal in exchange for forward Denis Gurianov
Feb. 26 – Loaned forward Fredrik Olofsson to Texas (AHL)
Feb. 27 – Recalled forwards Fredrik Karlstrom and Fredrik Olofsson from Texas (AHL)
Feb. 28 – Loaned forwards Fredrik Karlstrom and Fredrik Olofsson to Texas (AHL)
March 1 – Recalled forwards Fredrik Karlstrom, Fredrik Olofsson and goaltender Matt Murray from Texas (AHL)
March 1 – Placed forward Luke Glendening on injured reserve retroactive to Feb. 17
Man-games lost, 2022-23: 34
NAME INJURY # OF GAMES DATES
D Miro Heiskanen Upper body 3 Oct. 25-29
G Jake Oettinger Lower body 4 Nov. 1-8
F Denis Gurianov Upper body 6 Nov. 11-21
F Roope Hintz Lower body 1 Nov. 19
F Roope Hintz Upper body 7 Jan. 10-21
F Joel Kiviranta Lower body 8 Feb. 8-pres.
F Luke Glendening Undisclosed 4 Feb. 18-pres.
G Scott Wedgewood Undisclosed 1 Feb. 22-25
TONIGHT’S GAME: The Stars open their seventh set of back-to-backs tonight against the Arizona Coyotes at American Airlines Center. (7:30 p.m. CT, TV: Bally Sports Southwest, Radio: The Ticket 96.7-FM/1310-AM). This is the third of four meetings between the Stars and Coyotes and the final contest in Dallas. These clubs will finish off the four-game set on March 31 at Mullett Arena in Tempe, Arizona. Immediately following the game, the Stars will travel to Chicago to face the Blackhawks on Thursday at United Center,
MY SOURCES SAY THE ROADS ARE CLEAR AND STREET SIGNS POINT THE WAY
- The Stars are 2-0-0 vs. the Coyotes this season, outscoring them 11-2
- Captain Jamie Benn leads the team with four points (2-2—4) in two games vs. Arizona this season. Benn ranks second among active Stars in goals (18), ranks second in points (18-19—37) and shares second in assists (19). Benn also ranks second in power-play tallies (10) against them.
- Rookie Wyatt Johnston has two goals (2-0—2) in two games against the Coyotes this season.
- Forward Jason Robertson shares second in points (2-1—3) in two games against Arizona this season. Robertson enters tonight’s game with seven points (3-4—7) in six career games vs. the Coyotes.
- Forward Joe Pavelski leads active Stars in goals (31), assists (30) and points (31-30—61) in a team-high 76 career games vs. Arizona. He also paces the club in power-play goals (16) and game winners (6) and is one of three players with a shorthanded marker against them (also Robertson and Luke Glendening).
- Forward Tyler Seguin enters tonight’s matchup with nine goals and 18 points (9-9—18) in 27 career contests vs. Arizona.
- Forward Radek Faksa has 12 points (7-5—12) in 19 career games against the Coyotes.
- Forward Evgenii Dadonov has nine points (2-7—9) in 11 career contests vs. Arizona.
- Defenseman Miro Heiskanen shares second in points (0-3—3) this season vs. Arizona and has nine points (1-8—9) in 11 career contests against them.
- Goaltender Scott Wedgewood posted a 10-12-2 record, 3.16 goals-against average and .911 save percentage in 26 games with the Coyotes last season before he was acquired by the Stars in exchange for a conditional fourth-round selection in the 2023 NHL Draft on March 20, 2022. Through two separate tenures (2017-18 and 2021-22), Wedgewood played 46 games with Arizona, posting a 15-21-6 record, 3.28 GAA, .904 SV% and one shutout.
- Wedgewood is 1-0-1 with a 2.96 GAA and .910 save percentage in two career appearances against his former club.
- Goaltender Jake Oettinger is 1-1-0 with a 1.01 goals-against average and .966 save percentage in two career appearances vs. Arizona.
2022-23 REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE
Nov. 3. 2022 at Arizona – W, 7-2
Jan. 21 vs. Arizona – W, 4-0
March 1 vs. Arizona
March 31 at Arizona