NEW YORK YANKEES NOTES:
AT A GLANCE: The Yankees complete their seven-game road trip today with the final game of a three-game set at Cincinnati (2-0 thus far)…are 5-1 on the road trip after winning three-of-four games at Toronto and winning their first two games at Cincinnati…after an off day on Monday, will begin a six-game homestand vs. Baltimore (Tues.-Thurs.) and San Diego (5/26-28).
At 28-20 (.583), have the fourth-best record in the AL and the sixth-best record in the Majors.
Have won three straight games, five of their last six games, seven of their last nine games and 10 of their last 13 games.
Are 13-5 (.722) in their last 18 games (since 5/2), the best record in the Majors in that span.
Including this series, have won or split five of their last six series (since 5/1) and 11 of their 15 series this season (going 9-4-2).
Today marks the final day of a 17-day stretch (5/5-21) without an off day (11-5 so far)…are also in a 34-day stretch with just one off day (4/18-5/21).
YESTERDAY’S NEWS: The Yankees defeated the Reds, 7-4, in 10 innings on Saturday at Great American Ball Park…RHP Jhony Brito (4.0IP, 4H, 4ER, 4BB, 6K, 1HR, 1BK) started and did not record a decision…DH Aaron Judge (4-for-4, 1R, 1 double, 3RBI, 1BB) reached base a career-high-tying five times, recorded a career-high-tying four hits and hit a game-winning go-ahead RBI single in the 10th inning…1B Anthony Rizzo (2-for-5, 1R, 1HR, 3RBI) hit a game-tying RBI single in the fifth and a two-run HR in the 10th inning…LF Isiah Kiner-Falefa (1-for-4, 1R, 1HR, 1RBI) hit his second HR of the season with a solo shot in the fifth inning…C Ben Rortvedt (2-for-4, 2R, 1 double) made his Yankees debut…RHP Ron Marinaccio (2.0IP, 1BB, 3K), RHP Michael King (2.0IP, 1H, 3K), RHP Clay Holmes (W, 1.0IP, 1BB, 1K) and RHP Ryan Weber (SV, 1.0IP, 1K) combined to toss 6.0 scoreless innings of relief.
BRONX BOMBERS: The Yankees have hit 71HR this season, the second-most home runs in the AL and the fourth-most in the Majors.
Have hit multiple HR in eight of their last nine games (since 5/12), 12 of their last 14 games (since 5/7) and 14 of their last 18 games (since 5/2).
Have hit 20HR in their last 9G and 31HR in their last 14G.
Have recorded at least seven hits in eight of their last nine games and 16 of their last 18G.
Have scored 89R in their last 14 games (since 5/7), averaging 6.36 runs per game in that span…scored 133R in their first 34 games of the season from 3/30-5/6 and averaged 3.91 runs per game over that span.
Have scored at least 6R in 11 of their last 14 games (since 5/7).
WHAT A RELIEF: Yankees relievers have posted a 2.94 ERA (186.2IP, 61ER) this season, the lowest bullpen ERA in the Majors…also rank fourth in strikeouts (191) and fifth in opponents’ BA (.221).
Own a 13.0 scoreless inning streak (since 5/18)…have allowed just 3H to 47BF in that span (6BB, 15K).
PEN PALS: RHP Ryan Weber recorded his first save of the season and second of his career on Saturday at Cincinnati… the Yankees have had seven different pitchers record a save this season, the most in the Majors (next: Tampa Bay and Los Angeles-NL with five)…RHP Clay Holmes (4SV), RHP
Michael King (3SV), LHP Wandy Peralta (3SV), RHP Deivi García (1SV), RHP Ian Hamilton (1SV), RHP Ron Marinaccio (1SV) and RHP Ryan Weber (1SV) have each recorded at least one save for the Yankees this season.
FOUR SCORE: The Yankees are 24-5 this season when scoring at least 4R…are 24-6 when they hold their opponent to 4R-or-fewer.
DARTH BADER: OF Harrison Bader has reached base in 14 of 17 games with a plate appearance this season.
CALENDAR DAYS: The Yankees have hit 37HR in 19 games during the month of May, the most in the Majors in that span…also rank third in May in SLG (.474), tied for third in runs scored (106), fifth in runs scored per game (5.58) and sixth in OPS (.800).
ALL RISE: OF Aaron Judge reached base a career-high-tying five times (sixth time and second this season) and recorded a career-high-tying four hits on Saturday at Cincinnati (seventh time)…hit a game-winning go-ahead RBI single in the 10th inning…marked his seventh career hit that gave the Yankees the lead in extra innings (first since a go-ahead RBI double in the 10th inning on 7/9/22 at Boston).
His eight game-winning RBI this season are the most in the Majors…his 75 game-winning RBI since 2017 are the third-most in the Majors in that span, trailing only Jose Ramirez (81) and Nolan Arenado (77)…his 45 game-winning RBI since 2020 are the most in the Majors.
Has recorded the game-winning RBI in each of the Yankees’ five wins on the road trip…according to STATS, he is the only Major League player in the last 50 years to record five game-winning RBI on the road in a span of six days-or-less.
Has hit safely in each of his last eight games (since 5/13), batting .452/.564/1.194 (14-for-31) with 9R, 2 doubles, 7HR, 16RBI, 8BB/2IBB and 1SB.
Has 5HR in his last 6G and 7HR in his last 8G.
Has 16RBI in his last eight games…has recorded 18RBI in 12 games since returning from the I.L. (since 5/9).
Is hitting .405/.519/.976 (17-for-42) with 12R, 3 doubles, 7HR, 16RBI, 10BB/2IBB and 1SB in his last 11G (since 5/10).
Has hit .406/.500/1.000 (13-for-32) with 14R, 1 double, 6HR, 8RBI, 6BB and 1SB in the first inning this year…his 1.000 SLG and 1.500 OPS in the first inning are the highest in the Majors (min. 25 PA)…six of his 13HR this season have come in the first inning, tied for the most in the Majors.
Leads the Majors in SLG (.642), ranks second in OPS (1.042, second in AL) and is tied for fourth in HR (13, tied for second in AL)…is tied for fourth in the AL in OBP (.400).
NOBODY BEATS THE RIZZ: INF Anthony Rizzo hit a two-run HR in the 10th inning on Saturday at Cincinnati…has hit 36 career home runs vs. the Cincinnati Reds, his most home runs vs. any club in his career…his 36HR are also the most among active players vs. the Reds…are tied for the ninth-most by any Major League player vs. a single opponent since 2012.
His 24HR at Great American Ball Park are the second-most by a visiting player, trailing only Ryan Braun (28HR).
Has 5HR in his last eight games.
Has homered in consecutive games for the first time this season and for the 50th time in his career (first since a three-game streak from 8/29-9/18/22).
Has hit double-digit home runs in each of his last 12 seasons (since 2012)…is the only Major League player to do so over that span (Nelson Cruz, Freddie Freeman, Bryce Harper and Andrew McCutchen enter today with 11 seasons from 2012-22; Mike Trout also has 11 seasons from 2012-20, ’22-23).
Is tied for third in the AL and tied for seventh in the Majors in hits (53)…is tied for sixth in the AL in BA (.303) and ranks seventh in OBP (.385).
Has reached base in 21 of his last 23 games and 40 of his 46 games this season.
Is batting .311/.385/.550 (47-for-151) with 26R, 6 doubles, 10HR, 24RBI, 13BB and 5HP in his last 39G (since 4/9).
Has multiple hits in seven of his last 12 games (since 5/8), batting .354/.415/.708 (17-for-48) with 12R, 2 doubles, 5HR, 13RBI, 4BB and 1HP in that span…also has multiple hits in nine of his last 17G (since 5/2).
Has 5RBI in his last two games, 8RBI in his last six games (since 5/14), 11RBI in his last eight games (since 5/12) and 14RBI in his last 13 games (since 5/7).
Has hit safely in 14 of his last 17G and 18 of his last 23G.
Seven of his last 11 hits have been XBH (2 doubles, 5HR).
Has reached base multiple times in six of his last eight games (since 5/12), 10 of his last 13 games (since 5/7) and 12 of his last 17 games (since 5/2).
Has reached base via H/BB/HP in 26-of-59 plate appearances over his last 13 games (18H, 7BB,1HP, .441 OBP).
PITCH PERFECT: Yankees pitchers have posted a 2.11 ERA (55.1IP, 13ER) in their last six games.
ON A ROLL: INF Gleyber Torres has reached base in 15 of his last 16 games (since 5/5), 25 of his last 29 games (since 4/20) and 28 of his last 33 games (since 4/15). Has multiple hits in two of his last three games and three of his last five games.
TODAY’S STARTING PITCHER: RHP LUIS SEVERINO (7-3, 3.18 ERA IN 2022)
RHP Luis Severino is expected to make his season debut today at Cincinnati…is expected to return from rehab and be reinstated from the 15-day injured list prior to today’s game…missed the first 48 games of the season with a right lat strain…went 7-3 with a 3.18 ERA (102.0IP, 72H, 37R/36ER, 30BB, 112K, 14HR) in 19 starts for the Yankees in 2022…allowed 3ER-or-fewer in 15 of his starts, 2ER-or-fewer in 12 of those starts and one-or-zero earned runs in nine of those games…missed 59 team games in 2022 with a low grade right lat strain (7/14-9/20)…the two-time AL All-Star (2017, ’18) ranked third in the Majors in 2018 with 19 wins (19-8), tied for second-most by a Yankee in the last 14 seasons (since 2009) behind CC Sabathia (21-7 in 2010)…has two of the top-eight single-season strikeout totals in Yankees history (230K in 2017, 220K in 2018)…is one of four pitchers in Yankees history with multiple 200-strikeout seasons (also Gerrit Cole from 2021-22, David Cone from 1997-98 and Ron Guidry from 1978-79)…finished third in 2017 AL Cy Young Award voting…was originally signed by the Yankees as a non-drafted free agent on 12/26/11…signed to a four-year contract extending through the 2022 season with a club option for the 2023 season on 2/15/19…the Yankees exercised his club option for the 2023 season on 11/7/22.
2023: Is expected to make his season debut today…is expected to return from rehab and be reinstated from the 15-day injured list prior to today’s game…missed the first 48 games of the season with a right lat strain…combined to make two rehab starts with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Double-A Somerset, posting a 4.05 ERA (6.2IP, 8H, 3ER, 2BB, 6K, 1HR).
Posted a 9.00 ERA (15.0IP, 15ER) and 23K in five spring starts before being his scratched from his final spring start due to injury.
VS. CINCINNATI/INTERLEAGUE: Is expected to make his third career start vs. the Reds (first at Cincinnati)…is 1-0 with a 4.00 ERA (9.0IP, 6R/4ER) and 10K in two career starts vs. the Reds.
Made his first career start vs. Cincinnati on 7/26/17 at Yankee Stadium, recording the win after surrendering just 2R/0ER over 7.0IP (3H, 2BB, 9K, 1WP).
Last faced the Reds on 7/13/22 at Yankee Stadium and did not record a decision after allowing 4ER and a career-high-tying 3HR in 2.0IP (4H, 2BB, 1K).
Went 2-0 with a 2.84 ERA (19.0IP, 17H, 6ER, 4BB, 20K, 4HR) in four starts against NL Central opponents in 2022, with the Yankees going 4-0 in those games.
In 15 career appearances (13 starts) against NL teams, is 8-2 with a 1.79 ERA (80.2IP, 59H, 20R/16ER, 20BB, 98K, 9HR, 1HP, 4WP)…has recorded at least 6.0IP with at least 8K in seven of his 13 career Interleague starts…has allowed 3R-or-fewer in 11 of his 13 starts.
The Yankees are 11-2 all-time in Interleague games that he has started.
ROAD RULES: Is expected to make his first road start since tossing seven hitless innings and earning the win on 10/3/22 at Texas (0ER, 1BB, 7K).
In 63 career games (53 starts) on the road, is 23-15 with a 3.31 ERA (320.2IP, 118ER) and 344K.
Has surrendered 3ER-or-fewer in 41-of-53 career starts on the road and 2ER-or-fewer in 32 of those games.
From 4/7/17-6/26/18, recorded at least 6K in 23 consecutive road starts…at the time, was the fourth-longest streak in Major League history Randy Johnson33GS from 8/22/98-8/14/00; Pedro Martinez-28GS from 8/24/99-6/21/01 and Randy Johnson-25GS from 8/30/00-5/11/02)…was later surpassed by Shane Bieber (28GS from 4/27/19-5/27/21).
START ME UP: The Yankees are 59-26 in his 85 starts since 2017…has allowed 1ER-or-fewer in 40-of-85 starts (47.1%) since the beginning of 2017.
From 7/8/17-7/12/18, the Yankees went 31-4 in his 35 starts, the first time the Yankees won at least 31 games in a pitcher’s 35-start span since going 31-4 over 35 Ron Guidry starts from 8/10/77-8/15/78 (Elias)
CINCINNATI REDS NOTES:
- Farewell and thank you to Cincinnati Enquirer beat reporter Bobby Nightengale, who is heading home to cover the Twins for the Minneapolis Star Tribune…Bobby covered the Reds for 6 seasons…in the middle of the fourth inning this afternoon, he will be the guest rider on Redzilla’s trip around the warning track.
- Today the Reds sent to Louisville on a rehabilitation assignment RHP Fernando Cruz (right shoulder strain).
- This series is the fifth ever in which sons of Major League managers will face each other as Major League managers…NYY’s Aaron Boone (Bob) vs NYM’s Luis Rojas (Felipe Alou) in 2020 & 2021…Cin’s David Bell (Buddy) vs Rojas in 2021 and vs Boone in 2022 at Yankee Stadium… courtesy @EliasSports.
- In his last 21 apps beginning 4/24, Jake Fraley is hitting .355 (22-62, 4 2b, 4hr, 22rbi, 3sb, 11r, .437obp, .613slg, 1.050ops)…among all Major League batters with at least 71 plate apps since then, ranks T2nd in RBI, seventh in hitting, sixth in on-base percentage and ninth in slugging percentage.
- This morning’s Peacock broadcast crew includes Hall of Famer Barry Larkin and former Reds infielder Todd Frazier, along with play-by-play announcer Brendan Burke and field reporters Ahmed Fareed and Gordon Beckman…Frazier is the only player in the Reds/Yankees interleague series to homer for each team against the other.
- Is Game 3 (0-2) of a 3-game series vs the New York Yankees and Game 3 (0-2) of a 7-game homestand that includes a 4-game series vs the NL Central Division rival Cardinals that begins tomorrow night.
- This afternoon the Yankees are looking for their third sweep of the interleague series (3-0 in 2014 at NYY, 2-0 in 2017 at NYY).
- Following this homestand, the Reds hit the road again for 3-game series in the two oldest ballparks in the Major Leagues, Chc’s Wrigley Field (1914) and Bos’ Fenway Park (1912).
- The Redlegs are 10-14 all-time vs NYY, including 4-6 at Great American Ball Park, and regardless of today’s outcome will be 5-3 in 8 season series.
- The Reds and Yankees are meeting for the second consecutive season.
- The Reds earned a 2-1 series win last July at Yankee Stadium.
- Is Cin’s first ever home weekend series vs NYY.
- Is Aaron Boone’s first visit here as Yankees manager…Boone was selected by the Reds in the third round of the 1994 draft…over 7 seasons from 1997-2003 he hit .271 in 668 apps for Cin before he was traded to the Yankees on 7/31/2003 for LHP Brandon Claussen and LHP Charlie Manning.
- During the Yankees’ visit to Cincinnati on 6/3/2003, Hall of Famer Derek Jeter was named the team’s 11th captain.
- The teams met in 3 World Series, including Yankees wins in 1939 (4-0) and 1961 (4-1) and the Big Red Machine’s 4-0 sweep in 1976.
- Before the interleague schedule expanded this season to include games vs all 15 American League teams, from 1997-2022 the Redlegs went 188-
247 vs the American League, at .432 the lowest interleague winning percentage of any Major League team…in 2022 the Reds went 12-8 vs
AL teams (0-2 vs Cle, 2-0 at Cle, 1-2 at Tor, 1-1 at Bos, 3-0 vs TB, 2-1 at NYY, 2-1 vs Bal, 1-1 vs Bos)…last season’s was their first winning record vs the American League since 2013 (11-9)…in the 8 seasons between the 2013 & 2022 season series wins, the Reds went 61-99 vs
AL teams (.381).
CARDINALS UP NEXT
- Beginning tomorrow night, the Reds and Cardinals will meet for the first time this season.
- In 2022, the Cardinals won 12 of the 19 games and 5 of the 6 series.
- The Cardinals’ .506 winning percentage at Great American Ball Park (85-83) is the highest among NL Central Division opponents and seventh-highest of any National League team.
This Morning’s Pitcher – #21 Hunter Greene, RHP
- In just his second season, this morning is making his 34th Major League appearance and start…will be his first career appearance vs the New York Yankees.
- Produced a career-high 29.0-inning homerless streak between home runs by Oneil Cruz on 3/30 vs Pit and Elvis Andrus on 5/5 vs WSox.
- This season has allowed 6 HR in 9 starts 43.0 innings…allowed 4 HR at Great American Ball Park and 2 HR at Coors Field.
- Through the first 9 starts of his 2022 rookie season allowed 15 home runs.
- Has been charged with a team-high 4 pitch timer violations, most recently on 5/10 vs NYM (Pete Alonso walked).
- Was the Reds’ 2023 Opening Day starting pitcher.
- At age 23 years, 236 days became the first pitcher age 25 or under to start for the Reds on Opening Day since 1980, when at age 22 years, 232 days RHP Frank Pastore beat Phil Niekro and the Braves, 9-0… courtesy @EliasSports.
- Became the first second-year pitcher to start for the Reds on Opening Day since 26-year-old RHP Raisel Iglesias started the 6-2 win vs the Phillies in the 2016 season opener…courtesy @EliasSports.
- On 4/18 signed a $53 million contract through the 2028 season that includes for 2029 a $21 million club option and $2 million buyout.