CHICAGO CUBS NOTES:
No team release available.
CINCINNATI REDS NOTES:
- Returned from a rehabilitation assignment and reinstated from the 10-day injured list OF Jake Fraley (stress fracture, left fourth toe).
- Placed on the COVID-19 IL, retroactive to yesterday, RHP Hunter Greene.
- Recalled from Louisville RHP Brett Kennedy (#66).
- Added to the roster OF Harrison Bader (#4), who yesterday was claimed off waivers from the Yankees.
- Added to the roster OF Hunter Renfroe (#32), who yesterday was claimed off waivers from the Angels.
- Yesterday, IF/OF Alejo Lopez and OF Michael Siani were designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for waiver claims OF Harrison Bader and OF Hunter Renfroe.
- Are Games 1 & 2 of a 4-game series vs David Ross’ Cubs and Games 1-2 of a 10-game homestand that includes upcoming visits by the Mariners (3g) and Cardinals (3g).
- The Redlegs are coming off a 5-5 road trip (3-0 at LAA, 1-3 at AZ, 1-2 at SF).
- Was the Reds’ third and final trip of the season to the West Coast…won’t travel west of St. Louis the rest of the championship season.
- The Reds lead this season’s series, 5-4 (1-1 at Cin, 4-3 at Chc).
- The Reds’ 3-game sweep from 5/26-5/28 was their first series sweep of the Cubs since 7/2-7/4, 2021 (3g at Cin) and their first series sweep at Wrigley Field since 8/12-8/14, 2013 (3g).
- Today’s is the Reds third day/night doubleheader of the season, scheduled following a rainout here on April 5.
- On 8/13 at PNC Park the Reds and Pirates split a day/night DH.
- On 8/23 the Reds swept the Angels in Anaheim (9-4, 7-3 wins), their first sweep of a 9-inning doubleheader since 7/6/2014 vs Cubs (4-2, 6-5 wins) and their first sweep of a 9-inning doubleheader on the road since 6/5/1999 at KC (7-4, 9-4 wins).
- In last week’s doubleheader at LAA, RHP Fernando Cruz became the first Reds player to pitch in both games of a doubleheader since RHP Matt Bowman did it on 5/27/2019 vs Pit…in the 2 games, Cruz retired 6 of his 7 batters faced (2ip, 0h, 0r, 1bb, 2k).
- Prior to this season, the Redlegs were swept in each of their previous 2 doubleheaders, on 9/13/22 vs Pit (6-1, 1-0 losses) and 9/17/22 at StL (5-1 loss, 1-0 loss in 11 innings).
ROOKIES ON THE ROSTER
- The Reds have 9 rookies on today’s Game 1 roster:
- IF Elly De La Cruz, IF Christian Encarnacion-Strand, OF TJ Hopkins, IF Noelvi Marte, IF/OF Spencer Steer, LHP Andrew Abbott, RHP Fernando Cruz, RHP Daniel Duarte and LHP Brandon Williamson.
- As recently as Sunday, the Reds had 11 rookies on the roster.
- Monday, injured IF Matt McLain was replaced by OF Stuart Fairchild.
- Tuesday, OF Michael Siani was replaced by IF/OF Alejo Lopez.
- Had 12 rookies on the 27-player roster for the 8/23 doubleheader at LAA.
- 14 Reds players have made Major League debuts this season, the most of any team in the Major Leagues:
- RHP Casey Legumina, RHP Levi Stoudt, IF Matt McLain, LHP Brandon Williamson, RHP Eduardo Salazar, OF TJ Hopkins, LHP Andrew Abbott, IF Elly De La Cruz, RHP Ricky Karcher, RHP Randy Wynne, RHP Jake Wong, IF Christian Encarnacion-Strand, RHP Lyon Richardson and IF Noelvi Marte.
- 21 rookies have played in at least 1 game for the Reds, the most of any team in the Major Leagues.
- The Reds have used 57 players overall…RHP Michael Mariot was on the roster for 1 day (7/8) but did not appear in a game…IF/OF Alejo Lopez was on the roster for 2 days (8/29-8/30) but did not appear in a game…in 2022, the Reds used a club record 66 players.
LET THE KIDS PLAY
- The Reds are the first team in Major League history with 3 rookies, in a single season, with at least 10 HR & 10 stolen bases each (Elly De La Cruz, Matt McLain, Spencer Steer).
- For the first time since 1890, when Cincinnati joined the National League, 3 Reds rookies have produced at least 10 HR…courtesy @EliasSports.
- Reds rookies have combined for 50 HR (Spencer Steer 18, Matt McLain 16, Elly De La Cruz 11, Christian EncarnacionStrand 5)…the franchise record for home runs in a season by rookies is 54 in 2008 (Joey Votto 24, Jay Bruce 21, Chris Dickerson 6, Ryan Hanigan 2, Paul Janish 1).
- On 8/22 at LAA, in his 64th career game, Elly De La Cruz recorded his 20th stolen base to become the fastest player since 1900 to accumulate at least 10 HR and at least 20 steals…Barry Bonds did it in his 65th career appearance, just ahead of Reds rookies Chris Sabo (66g) and Gary Redus (67g)…courtesy @EliasSports.
- Elly De La Cruz is the first Major League player since RBI became a statistic in 1920 to produce in his first 60 career apps at least 60 hits (64), 10 HR (10), 25 RBI (26) and 15 stolen bases (19).
- Elly De La Cruz and Spencer Steer on 7/4 at Wsh became the first set of rookie teammates in Major League history to finish in the same game 4-for-4 with at least 1 RBI (since RBI became an official statistic in 1920)…courtesy @EliasSports.
- IF Matt McLain (5/22-5/28) and IF Elly De La Cruz (6/19-6/25) each earned National League Player of the Week awards, McLain in the second week of his career and De La Cruz in his third week.
Today’s Pitcher – #51 Graham Ashcraft, RHP
- This afternoon is making his sixth career appearance and start vs the Cubs, his second of the season.
- In his first 6 starts through 5/2 went 2-0, 2.00 (.202baa).
- In his next 8 apps from 5/7-6/24 went 1-6, 12.82 (.386baa).
- In his last 11 apps beginning 6/30 went 4-2, 2.39 (71.2ip, 19er, .223baa) with 10 quality starts.
- Has made 12 apps since a 15-day stint on the injured list (left calf contusion, 6/9-6/23)…in those 12 starts went 4-3, 2.97 (75.2ip, 25er, .241baa).