RAVENS QB LAMAR JACKSON, DOLPHINS LB MELVIN INGRAM & CHIEFS P TOMMY TOWNSEND NAMED AFC PLAYERS OF THE MONTH FOR SEPTEMBER
Quarterback LAMAR JACKSON of the Baltimore Ravens, linebacker MELVIN INGRAM of the Miami Dolphins and punter TOMMY TOWNSEND of the Kansas City Chiefs are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Month for the month of September.
OFFENSE: QB LAMAR JACKSON, BALTIMORE RAVENS
- Jackson completed 56 of 88 pass attempts (63.6 percent) for 749 yards and led the NFL with 10 touchdown passes and a 119.0 passer rating over the league’s first three weeks. Jackson also ranked fifth in the league with 243 rushing yards and added two rushing touchdowns.
- Jackson was the only player to record at least three touchdown passes in each of the first three weeks of the season and became the first player in NFL history with at least three touchdown passes and 100 rushing yards in consecutive games (Weeks 2-3).
- This is the second Offensive Player of the Month award for Jackson (November, 2019) and he becomes the first Baltimore Ravens player to win the award multiple times.
- Jackson joins kicker David Akers (five-time winner) as the only former Louisville players to win multiple Player of the Month awards.
DEFENSE: LB MELVIN INGRAM, MIAMI DOLPHINS
- Ingram recorded two sacks, three tackles for loss, one forced fumbled, one pass defensed and two fumble recoveries, including one for a touchdown, to help the Dolphins begin 3-0 for the first time since 2018.
- He is the only player in the league with two sacks and a defensive touchdown this season.
- This is Ingram’s second-career Defensive Player of the Month award, having earned the honor previously in September of the 2017 season as a member of the Chargers.
- Ingram is the first Dolphins player to win the award since current teammate Jerome Baker last season (December).
SPECIAL TEAMS: P TOMMY TOWNSEND, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- Townsend averaged 55.6 yards on 11 punts (league-high 49.6 net), with five being placed inside the 20-yard line.
- This is the second Special Teams Player of the Month award for Townsend, after earning the award in November of last season.
- Townsend is the only Chiefs punter to win the award multiple times and he joins Harrison Butker (three times) and Tamarick Vanover (twice) as the only Kansas City players with multiple Special Teams Players of the Month awards.
2022 AFC PLAYERS OF THE MONTH
|September||QB Lamar Jackson, Baltimore||LB Melvin Ingram, Miami||P Tommy Townsend, Kansas City|